Breaking a lease?? we live in Colorado..

My husband and I are going today to sign a lease on an apartment.. we hope, we live with family and it`s ok, but we want to live alone again. We found the perfect place. My worry is when we do an application we did put on it that we left a lease in 2011 and explained why. In 2011 my father in law was killed in a terrible accident and we had to move in with him mom, one to help her through it, and to help her keep her house. We did explain to the people we rented from, and they did understand, but they were not the owners, it`s a big company, so they had no choice to charge us the rest of what we owed. So we were in the middle of filing bankruptcy and we added them, and bankruptcy paid themtoo. So they did get paid.. What I was wondering is if anyone has left an lease, and were you able to ever rent again? Some people I know has, but not here. I was told by some that they had a bigger deposit but that's all. Thanks for any advice I will be telling them all this too, but I was hoping for some reassuring before I went. I worry about stuff a lot .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Congratulations on your new apartment.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Thanks everyone, we went today and signed our lease.. we were honest and they didn`t care why we left or that we did.. so yey we got our apartment!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Apply and find out. In the apartments I managed we did not rent to anyone who filed bankruptcy less than 7 years previously.
    Breaking a lease was different and depended on circumstance and credit history since breaking the lease and a few other factors. We were a very small operation, both places combined less than 600 units.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• The bankruptcy will be more of an issue, just explain it to the new landlord, and offer a double deposit.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• IDK
    Anonymous

• Why does what you did in the past have to do with you trying to rent again. Is their some "list" you go on? If you break your lease?
    Personally I wouldn't even say anything to them about that.

Answer by louise2 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• well if they are paid off then it should be fine and your credit should show its paid and closed. But some places may see this as something negative.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Well... it depends. Go apply and find out. If you cannot at this point, maybe get a co-signer. And some places do let you with a larger deposit.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2013