Question About Exercise

My rheumatologist is always on my case about exercise. Losin weight, too, which I'm trying to do. She didn't seem to notice when I saw her this morning that I'd lost fifteen pounds, but that's another story.

Anyway, she asked if I'd been exercising. I said not in a formal sense, but I have to hustle and get up and down a lot keeping up with my four-year-old. I'm not getting much cardio, but I'm keeping my joints and muscles moving. I've also been doing some sit-ups.

What she said surprised me. She didn't go into the regular speech about twenty minutes of cardio three or four times a week. She said she wouldn't call doing sit-ups or chasing a four-year-old around exercise because it didn't give me a chance to decompress and take time for myself while I was at it. What's she talking about? I can take time for myself gabbing on CM.

So when you exercise, is it a chance to decompress and take time for yourself? Is the doctor onto something?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I get used to it, but it's never been enjoyable, no matter how long I've been doing it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• No. Exercise is something I force myself to do, not something I enjoy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• My main form of exercise is my job - I drive, do some heavy lifting & fast walking, drive, more lifting/walking, etc - 4 rounds of lifting/walking with 5 rounds of driving. Does that count? I enjoy it, and enjoy the alone time in the van while I'm driving (and I just love being behind the wheel).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Chasing a four-year-old around is not exercise - it's called activities of daily living or ADL's.... not the same. There is little health benefit for that.

Time for yourself, or mental time off as the doc is calling it, is an ADDED bonus of doing 20- 30 minutes of cardio, but it's certainly not the only thing you're getting out of it. As someone with RA you have to know that keeping your joints moving via regular exercise is vital to your joint health and your ability to keep moving. If not please ask your doc to explain why.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Perhaps a Pilates or yoga class might be up your alley. It's time for yourself and exercise =)

I actually do consider the time I spend at the gym 'me time'. It helps me decompress. When the kids were little it was absolutely the only time that I had to myself. I would check the kids into the gym daycare, exercise, then shower without anyone hanging on me. Now it is a stress reliever.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Exercise IS time to decompress. I force myself to go exercise if it's been a stressful day or it's been super busy. It helps me relax and re-focus and it releases all those good endorphins which help me feel good for a bit. You want to get out, get moving, fresh air helps, just you time, nothing to worry about except getting to the end of the torture people call exercise - you do that enough and it's no longer torture, it become enjoyable!!!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• my dr said that cleaning up after my daughter, husband and taking care of household chores doesn't count as exercise..even when some days i only sit to nurse my lo...oh well...i enjoy what I do.
    newmom1978

Answer by newmom1978 at 7:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I don't know. The doctor said she would tell the same thing she told me to a roofer who said he got his exercise at work.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Yes. Exercise is for decompressing. Your body accepts the movement and it gives you time to "empty your head" and relax. Chasing a 4 year old is not exercise. Period. Exercise is getting your heart rate elevated for 30 minutes..daily living does not do the same thing. You burn very few calories by getting up and down. Most likely you burn about 1 calorie per minute getting up and down. You should be doing strength training as well as some form of cardio. Don't tell me that people with RA can't do it either as I've got RA myself and I'm a long distance runner. You can do this. Stop the excuses and workout. :-)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 5:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2013