Why oh why is my puppy always showing us her butt lately?!?

She's about 4 months old, so she's not going into heat yet, we have no other animals in the house. She seems to do it when we want to play (when she's playful too of course) - is she trying to show dominance? She doesn't quite weigh 3 lbs. This is not a totally new thing for her - she started about 5 weeks ago but very seldom, now it's been a daily thing about the last 5-6 days. And she really only does it to DH & I, not the kids.

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 3:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Pets

• It's a submissive thing. She's showing submission to the pack members that are higher on the food chain than she is.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Ohhh - so kind of like "I know you're bigger and you're in charge so have your way with me" type thing? Hmm.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• It might be worms as well? I think she is almost ready to go into heat, and this is the way they show you they are "ready"! Could you imagine that in people, LOL?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• awww! I want to see a picture. I can just picture a cute little thing sticking their butt in the air and wiggling it
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• When do puppies get fixed?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Lost - she's too fast for pictures! I have about 200 fails on my phone and only, maybe, 5 good ones! She looks funny when she does it, it just waggles like crazy!
    Jersey - I don't think it's worms - it's not really possible for her to get them right now (said our vet).
    Staci - my vet will fix her when she weighs 5 lbs - so we're hoping she gets that big! He's thinking she'll be about 8 months she she goes into her first heat and if she weighs enough, we'll be fixing her then!
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Is she actually turning her butt around towards you or is she facing you and putting her butt in the air. If it is the second one, it is called "play bowing" and she is teeling you she wants to play. :-D
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 7:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• teeling=telling! lol
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 7:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• She's twisting her little body around so she can point her butt at us while still looking at us.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• lol Does she liked to be scratched on her back at the base of her tail (I've never met a dog that doesn't)? My Sheltie LOVES it and she does exactly what you just desribed when she wants to be scratched there. If it's not that, then I don't know... lol
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 12:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2013