Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If you have recently divorced, do you file for sole or joint custody?

If you want your children to see their father but not in the environment he is in currently what would be the best way to go about it. Maybe out of court? He's always been a good man recently he's been going through changes acting very different but my point is he is staying with his family(mom,dad,sister,etc) and they are a very bad influence, I don't want my children around them. So how do I handle this, I absolutely do not want him going there. He hopefully will only be staying there for another 6 months and then we (father,me & kids)would move out of state so it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

Answers (2)
  • Mine was a little over 9 years ago. I filed for sole custody, and for my ex to have supervised visitation. If you don't want him to have them in his home (I assume that's what you mean by the environment he is currently in), that would be your best bet. However, it's important to keep in mind that a judge won't grant it just because you say it's what's best. You need proof of why the kids would not be safe or well cared for there. If he will agree with you on it, though, then you might be able to get him to sign off on a settlement agreement in which you two agree that that is how you will handle it and then the court will just sign off on it, making it part of your divorce settlement. That's how mine was handled - but my ex was also in jail at the time, so I did have it easier than most.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 6:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

  • Get full custody with supervised visiations.

    Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 2:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.