What does "One nation UNDER god" mean to you?

I saw something today that mentioned this....and I was wondering what people take this to mean?

And how do you feel this applies to the state of our country?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Nothing
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• When I hear that statement, I always have to think..... what does God think about the other countries? Also when you say, "God Bless America"..... does that mean that God doesn't bless the other countries? I think it's out dated really. I mean there are so many people here who do not believe in God, or believe in other forms of what we call "God".
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I think it's outdated & should be removed.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Nothing at all
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• It means someone rammed an "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance back in the fifties.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

******************
    yes, exactly. So I wonder why people cling to it so much. Like it's some kind of magic veil of protection of things....or somehow it makes our society more moral.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I don't say the "Under God" part when saying the pledge bc I do not believe in the version of God
    that this part pertains to, I simply do not say it.  Besides I am a firm believer that that part of the pledge
    did it's job at the time it was added, and now can be taken back out and stored...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I don't think anything when I hear it but if you want my opinion on it I think it means exactly what is states. Regardless of my personal beliefs I do think it's a little outdated and pretty discriminatory.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I personally say "under God" and give a silent prayer for peace in our streets and astuteness by our leaders, but I can see where people could feel the phrase is discriminatory, since many people do not believe in God, or believe in God in a way that isn't represented by the Pledge. I always thought people, if they had another religion, just inserted their deity, but it sounds as if that isn't true.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• overreaction, McCarthyism, paranoia, ego-centrism, noninclusive, xenophobic
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2013