Is it only the NON-Christians doing this?

Ok most of us have a FB, so as we chat, post or play all those lovely games ( I so guilty of gaming lol)
we encounter/meet  ALL kinds of   ppl from all kinds of walks of life with all of their posts showing up on your thread...
I often find it very interesting to read. I have a very, very Christian woman who posts every day a Bible verse, I have Wiccan's/Witches posting items as well, and of course many ppl who either are Atheists or simply don't know wither to believe in something higher or not,  posting .... and I like to read  it all, (or at least as much of it before they get lost in the flow of the boards)

So this little bit came as a bit of a surprise to me. That it's only NON-Christian ppl who prepare for the world to end, or are Preppers or keep an emergency kit in their home etc..etc..etc.. bc without faith in God you are lost and for those who are firm in their Christianity do not need mundane items for survival bc God will protect them from all harm.

Now I did not reply to this person's post (there were a few who did tho)(and I don't know this person) so instead I thought I would bring it to this board and get all of your opinions about that statement.

Now my personal viewpoint is that there are many different types of ppl who are prepared for emergencies wither they are the extreme preppers or simply keeping what is needed to get by stored and religious viewpoint has nothing to do with it, it's called common sense.

I have the basics in an emergency stashed and am getting a new medical first aid kit in my home and we are a mixed up religious family here...lol... A Witchy-Wiccan with a Non practicing Christian and a kid who doesn't have any religious affiliation right now...

Thoughts!?  On this Ladies...

Are any of the CM moms similar to or real close to the same beliefs as this statement?

How do everyone else prepare? Are you extreme (I have an extreme prepper in the family) or have the basics?

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 5:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Watched an episode of Preppers the other night and the group was VERY religious. Whoever made that statement is very ignorant and they really need to watch Doomsday Preppers. Preppers are from all economic and religious groups. 

Hubby keeps saying that we need to start ... not for the end of the world, but real natural emergencies such as hurricanes or severe thunderstorms that take out the power and on a super unlikely chance, a blizzard. We definitely need to make a plan considering his mom and sister both are O2 when they sleep (CPAP + O2) ... mom, all the time. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I think it's extremely ignorant to make the statement "god will take care of us". It reminds me of the story about the guy waiting out a flood, and 3 people come by offering him help to get out and he winds up drowning. He questions god, saying, why didn't you help? and god says something like "who do you think sent all those people??"

Wake up people-take care of yourselves and stop expecting someone to magically lift you up from any troubles that come your way. Thats such a lazy ass way of thinking.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I am Catholic
    I believe that I rest gentley in my Lord's hand and He will keep me or take me home as is His will.
    I also believe that God has told us to be prudent and prepare for bad times as well as good. That indicates that saving and putting food by and other items to survive is going right along with God's will. I do not think it is wrong not to and I certainly do not do it to any great extrent. Emergencies, whether it is several days without power or and end of the world scenario happen and that is that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I find it funny, only because Discovery did a whole series on end of the world in December, and they profiled a survival school in the middle of the deep south where people go to learn how to take care of themselves and their family in the wilderness. The school seems to have plenty of business, and the South is hardly the bastion of open minded religion.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I think that statement (that only non-Christians prep) is ridiculous - as is the idea that "God will protect us." If you believe in God, I think he (just like your parents, and like you would want your children to do) would want you to use common sense and appropriate measures to protect, defend, and care for yourself in any given situation, not simply rely on him to save you. I also think there are those who don't believe in God or anything else who also naively think that nothing bad can happen to them and thus there's no need to be prepared.

I'm not saying you should prep for the end of the world, but use common sense. I live in FL, we get hurricanes. I prepare for them. If I lived up north, I would find out how prep for blizzards and prep for those. It's simple common sense and healthy caution.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I have only ever seen Christians talking about the end of the world. I am an atheist and I probably wouldn't survive long without running water and power. I don't "prep".
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• God never guaranteed a free ride for the lazy. We need to look after ourselves and our children. That being said, I've seen God provide when I was all out of ideas.

You don't need religion to find yourself a crutch. Some people expect their parents to bail them out forever. Some people expect their spouses, or the government, or their friends, to take care of them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• mind- boggling honestly...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I find the idea very ill informed. My mother is one of those bible thumping Christians, and she always had stuff in case of emergency. We had spare can goods and extra bottled water. We had candles, flashlights, and plenty of matches. She didn't overdo it like the extremists do, but we had at least a weeks worth of food most of the time. She didn't look at it as not having faith in god. She looked at it as using common sense.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• well seeing as i have several LDS friends who keep a years worth of supplies in their home as part of their faith, id say this person doesnt know what they are talking about. it seems like most doom preppers are Christians at some level.

that idea is almost as dumb as the "take your hands off the wheel and God will drive for you" idea floating around the internet. isnt it wrong to test God?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2013