Sorry I asked this ? on 0-12...but not much of a response..any of you advice?

I have a 5month old lil boy. And he is somewhat of a light sleeper! Pretty much only when he falls asleep in my arms n then I try n put him down..he otomatically wakes up! I only have to move slightley n BAM hes awake!!! Unfortunattly when he was a newborn I let him sleep in my arms..then he slept with me..now i put him in his car seat but I have to prop a bottle in his mouth! (he does have his head up! But I kno its not the BEST thing ta do!). N im trying to get him in his crib. Everytime I pick him up from sleeping to feed him..he thinkgs is time to get up! So he ends up sleeping with me or I end up propin a bottle in his mouth!!

Any advice here?! Tricks to get him to sleep in his crib..or any other moms goin through this? Is there a way to get him to be more of a heavyer sleeper? Thanx

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well my baby will be 7 on tuesday, he was this same way, everytime you'd go to lay him down he was right back up, I unfortunatley could'nt find a remedy, he still sleeps in bed with me. Sorry I couldnt help.
    samantha_dawn

Answer by samantha_dawn at 10:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Go pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth pantley. Also check out the sleep article on drjaygordon.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• well unfortunately you started bad habits early (which is hard not to do) but he is getting to the age that he realizes what will get him what he wants, it is getting to the time of tuff love. the whole let him cry for a while and go check on him but don't pick him up thing (very hard thing to do - very heart breaking) and also he doesn't need to be woken up to eat, if he is hungry he will wake up, which the docs will tell you as long as he is good weight that he won't need to eat at night (they told me that on my 1 week visit - i didn't listen i just couldn't do it ) but you know your baby better than anyone and you will just have to try things until something fits both of you (even if that means he sleeps with you, lots of people do it) as he gets a little older he will start understanding that night means sleep and if he wakes up and it is still dark then he goes back to sleep on his own.good luck

setliff

Answer by setliff at 11:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I had a similar problem with my daughter, she'd fall asleep in my arms, and when I'd put her down she'd wake up. The only suggestion I have is put him down as soon as he falls asleep, dont wait a few minutes or get caught up something just put him down. If you get good at it you might can start putting him down when he's droopy eyed and almost asleep with little problem.
    Oh and you could try keeping a blankie with you and when he starts to go to sleep cover him with it, it might help him to not feel himself moving as much.
    candycane337

Answer by candycane337 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Holding your baby is not a bad habit, letting them cry alone is a bad habit, proven by science, and a mother's heart.

I second the No Cry Sleep Solution, it will teach you lots :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Why are you waking him to feed him? Let him sleep. Part of the problem may be because you're waking him to eat...so he thinks any jostling is food time/wake time. Let him sleep.

As for letting a baby cry (not part of your question but mentioned)...define letting them cry alone. A baby crying will have NO problems mentally or developmentally and that's proven by REAL science.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Don"t wake him to feed him, if he"s asleep let him sleep. It is ok to let babies cry. I know it breaks our hearts when our babies cry but it is a learning process. When mine were little, I would put them in their crib and if they fussed about it, I would vacuum the floors. I know it sounds crazy but it works, I did it with all 4 of my children they are now 18, 16, 9, and 6. The vibration from the vacuum calms them, it also works for babies with Cholic symptoms. Most importantly remember, as moms we do the best we can with what we"ve got and God knows it always works. Good luck to you.
    fragglemom

Answer by fragglemom at 7:13 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• When it is time for nap or sleep just lay him in his crib... if he fusses let him fuss. It is good for their lungs to let them cry sometimes. I hurts to do it but eventually he will calm down and sleep for you.
    sabrae

Answer by sabrae at 7:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Put warm sheets in his crib. I like the flannel or jersey ones over the cotton ones. Put some white noise in his room. A CD player with Oceans crashing, soft music etc. Some people don't like night lights. I always used one. I found it helped. Don't wake him up to feed him. That is one reason he is a light sleeper. He is waiting to be fed. He will let you know when he is hungry.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 8:13 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• never wake a sleeping baby. Babies know when they are hungry, only feed when THEY ask for it.

I would def. not do the bottle in the mouth, b/c you can cause teeth issues down the line but..... I don't have too much of an answer for you cause my son was like that and slept with me till just the other day (like last night) and he's 5 although he is doing it less often.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2009