Asking for Money?

Do you ever have strangers walk up to you and ask for money? I live in small-town America and, up until 6 months ago, I never have...then it started.

I've been asked for anything from $0.50 to $2.00 by quite a few people. Most of them were in Wal-Mart's parking lot saying they didn't have the money for diapers or the bus or milk. One of them was outside a restaurant because they didn't have enough money for a tip. One was at a gas station saying they didn't have enough gas to get home. Yesterday was at a grocery store by a grandmother saying that she didn't want to disappoint her granddaughter because she didn't have the money for a bag of M&M's.

Sometimes I give, sometimes I don't. Honestly it really just depends on my mood at the moment.

But seriously, what the heck? I'm starting to think that I have a "PLEASE ASK ME FOR MONEY" sign taped to my back or something.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 6:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I've offered to take people in McDonald's and buy meals for them when I was working downtown. One or two accepted, most refused. Now that I don't commute, it doesn't happen too often. Once there was a lady outside of Wal-Mart asking ffor change so she could go in and buy a goldfish. I wondered what the heck she was going to do with a goldfish, with no tank or anything.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• oh, it's getting that way everywhere. With people out of jobs and either 1) jobs being scarce and 2) they make more money per hour on un-employment than they would if they were employed, people will get bold enough to start asking for money from others. Some people might really need it in that moment, others are just making their living. Homeless on the street corner have been known to make up to $100/hour! I wouldn't quit my job either if I were making just $100/hour
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Once recently someone was wanting change..... Seriously, I don't carry cash these days.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I only had this happen once where I work. The lady said her and her husband had ran out of gas and asked if I had money to help her. She had a gas can with her. I gave her $20.

I have noticed in the town I work which is growing and not a city but still not as small as it was years ago, people have been standing with signs asking for money for bus fare to another state or just stating they need money for food.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I've had people come up at gas stations to ask for money (with no car in sight). I just walk away. This happened once and i saw the guy walk inside and buy beer with the money a lady gave him

We have this guy who stands outside either our gas station,or Walmart,with a sign saying "Homeless vet. please help"
    He's out there every Saturday when we go past. We have several programs in this city to help the homeless. There's no reason to beg

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• This is a sad sign of our current economy. I have given to pan handlers in the City but have never been approached yet while shopping where I live. I am so worried that the economy will even worsen & many more will resort to actions out of despair. This is a very bad sign.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I see people by the roads or entrances to stores holding signs, but can't remember the last time I've personally been approached. I rarely have cash on me, so I'm not lying when I tell them I'm broke :/ Even if I did have some cash on me, I'm pretty leery of strangers & wouldn't give them any $ anyways. I have charities I donate to & know there is help out there for folks who need it.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I see people do it all the time. I can only think of one time that I've ever been approached directly, and although I did help, I can't remember why. I'm thinking maybe a mom with her kids?

We have one woman around here that really pisses me off. She stands in the median of the road with a sign that says "Single mom. Desperate to feed kids. Please help. Don't starve my kids." I'm a single mom, and while I get being desperate to feed your kids (I have been there), she's standing there with a brand new backpack, brand new clothes and a McD's sack of food - and talking on a cell phone, a smart phone, not even just a cheap ass "in case I need to dial 911 or so I can call my kids" phone. It's like gee, thanks, for giving people yet another reason to look down on me and all the other single parents who really are trying to take care of our kids.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I have been asked for money more times than I wish to count. Almost all were 20-30ish healthy and needing money for gas to get to.......

Most wanted a fill up and there is know way I am going fill up someone's gas tank that I do not know.

Rarely I feel like it AND have actual cash to give.

I have even had a couple tell me they would wait while I went over and got cash with my card. Uh No.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Yes. I wouldn't say this happens ALL the time but yes it's happened many times.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2013