Would this hurt your feelings?

I know my dad & SM are hurting for money right now. Yesterday I went for a visit to take my dad some cold medicine & they gave me my B-day card w/ a check for $25.00 in it. We aren't doing so great either, but we're not doing as bad as they are. I'm very tempted to NOT cash the check. I'd rather my dad use it for medical bills or a co-pay to the Dr. But I also don't want to hurt their feelings by suggesting they can't afford a gift for me. What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Relationships

• Cash it and turn it around and give them a gift card to a grocery store

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• If you don't cash it and they don't know,they'll be budgeting for that money to not be in the account,so it'd be like they don't have it anyway

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• If you don't cash it they will probably be insulted. If you don't cash it they may have already put that money aside & they will be waiting to cover that amount & scrimp in another area. So, I would do what Butterfly said & cash it & buy them groceries with it. Wait a few weeks & surprise them.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I wouldn't say anything and just not cash it! I don't think it would hurt their feeling if you told them though.
    krisandriley

Answer by krisandriley at 6:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I just wouldn't cash it. I also like butterfly's suggestion though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Cash it and when him Birthday or christmas comes around give it bach with 5 or 10 extra $$$ with it.

Answer by louise2 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I felt the same way you did when I got a gift for my Birthday this year. I turned around and got them a gift card to the same store but with more money. I didn't need a gift. All I EVER want for my birthday is a card to show that you cared enough to think about me.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Yes, I agree with butterfly. Gift card for Walmart that way they can get food, medicine or gas.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• absolutely agree with everyone...cash it and then put it to something they can use...when my grandma was still alive, i cut her hair and she would get upset if i wouldnt take the money, so i started sending flowers with the money or would get her something i would hear her mention she wanted.
    newmom1978

Answer by newmom1978 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• you rock See, this is why I love you guys!  I didn't even think about using it in a way to give back to them like that!  That's a great idea!  Thanks ladies :)

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2013