1 of 2 - earning the right to leave class to pray with good grades

In reading the article, I thought it would be interesting for debate, but I also saw something disturbing mentioned in it, almost as an aside. I'm posting that as a separate question, but it involves the same article: Prince George’s Co. school lets Muslim students out of class to pray

tldr - Muslims are expected to pray at specific times each day.  This school agrees to let them out of class to pray for 8 minutes, but only if they have good grades.

Fair compromise?  Special privilege? Or should they be allowed without the grade requirement?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Religious Debate

• If anyone is interested to know the prayer times and how they change its at http://www.islamicfinder.org/  type in your zip code to find out the times in your area

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Adult muslims who work should be given their time for prayers.
    At my job I have a place to pray and go at the appointed times of prayers and its just 2 of the 5 prayers that I have to do at work but if I cannot make the one close to noon time I can combine it with the one that comes later, mid afternoon or I can wait until I get home but than I will have 4 prayers to do and its best for the prayers to be done at the appointed times. Also as the prayer times change the mid after noon prayer is later and than for many people depending on their work hours can be done at home or at closest mosque.
    Parents should not have to remove their children from school from prayer but if asked the school should provide them the time for prayers.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• this is tough...i totally get why Muslim students deserve the time as needed. and as a soon to be teacher i get the "good grades" part cause you dont want lazy students trying to get outta class when they obviously need class instruction.

but on the other hand, its not fair to the other students who may want to pray in a quiet space or cant focus their prayers b/c the class is loud, etc. maybe the school could create a "meditation space" that allows good students to take a much earned spiritual break? or they could make it a class that students with good grades could take with the class period that falls around the prayer time...like an elective. i dunno this is complicated.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• yes. its a tough one for sure- in some ways I feel like these are kids and as I teacher I always side with kids and their needs- 8 minutes in the scheme of things is not a big deal- I have kids that fake a bathroom break longer than that-and on that note- I am one of those people that allow kids to use the bathroom as many times as needed- usually with an "are you sure because this is the 3rd time in an hour" type thing-I guess I just don't have a good answer on this one-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• So te parents would aaaaaaahave to be at school every day to sign them out? That might interfere with their work schedule.
    I wonder how an muslim working for I don't know St. Louis bread Company, or Deals would have to deal with thier religious obligations,
    Do those stores allow them to simply stop their work and do what ever ritual is required? If the parents are not then I see no reason for the children to be granted the break.
    I think there is too much I do not know.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• hmmmm...... I can see the idea that the primary focus of school is school work so I sort of see the good grades thing, but then again-if it violates their religious freedoms they kind of have to let them leave class to pray- I guess maybe the parents could come sign them out for prayer just like we allow parents to sign kids out for appts and even religious events-hmmmmm.......
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• On the other hand, prayer is very structured for Muslims, and I'm not sure how Islam makes allowances for situations like meetings, school, etc.  I'd hate to say that Muslims should opt for a private school if they are not allowed to pray in their way in a public school because that seems discriminatory, as well.

Excellent question, and as I said, I can see at least two sides to it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I'm actually torn on this one.  On one hand, it is a public school, for the instruction of all children, equally.  To me, that means that it is the academic instruction that is the purpose of the school, and religious activities should be done on the students' own time.  A silent prayer before meals (or before tests) are well within a student's rights because that would not interfere with or infringe upon the rights and instruction of the other students. To grant special prayer time to a certain group of students seems like it would be disruptive.  If special accommodations are made for one group, then all should be allowed the same exceptions and be given the time for meditation, prayer, rituals, whatever their beliefs dictate.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Ok I guess I answered/ asked in the other question what should be here.
    Does the class continue long without them or does it come to a standstill sot they do not miss out on instruction? A couple of schools I subbed for called a screching halt when students left for special instruction or prayer as in this case.
    If every one is allowed to stop at the same time and go to respective areas for their personal prayer time or devotion and those who do not have a religious affliation go to another place for the time I would have no problem. If the time fell over playground time, I would have no problem as long as every single child has the same opportunity at the same times.
    I am of the if one then all mindset. But if any one can not, then no one can.
    Just because it is a public school does not mean that anyone should not be allowed to pray in their own way, or so I am told.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I can pray in public school all I want , I simply pray - I close my eyes, say the words in my head. No special attention given.
    I do not however think that you can put a grade requirement on prayer
    parents know prayer is not done openly in private school so the should not expect provisions.

Want your child to pray put them in private school
    Mine is in private school for many reasons, I know that if I choose to mover her to city school then I can not be mad if they do not pray every morning and sing Bible songs in assembly.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2013