Suggestions for books

So I'm lazy, and doing my research project on Norse traditions absorbed by European culture as a result of the forced Christian conversion (she made me narrow it down to one culture or it would be a 600 page paper). Any suggestions on some good thorough books on the Christmas tradition origins? I can't just use beliefnet stuff and I only own a few books that actually go into the Christian side of it all. I need more citations - fact based not just collections of stories.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Try Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas by John Matthews. I haven't read it in a while but I think it has what you are looking for.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'm looking for you....
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• The only book I could recommend would be Circle of Stones.. it's a historical novel.. but cites at the bottom of each page what actually happened and what is part of the fiction of the story. Most of the Characters were real, however some of the things said, etc, obviously were not... there is a sequel to the book.. something about stars.. referring to Madoc. But if you are looking at this from the Christians view point, these are probably not good books, because they side more with the "old religion".. but if you go to the library you can research the books she did in her reference pages. Hope that helps.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Try some scholarly journals? We had to use those a lot in college, and there are many religious journals out there. I don't know if any have the specifics you are looking for, but if you do a little research on your school library's catalog something might pop up. Or on Ebscohost if your library subsribes to that.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Check out this website.  You might have to dig around a bit, but I'm sure you can find sources for what you need there.

Anonymous