Have you ever givven your kiddo a Band-Aid when she didn't really need one?

Maybe it was a cop-out, but my daughter fell on the cement porch steps tonight and got a teeny tiny bruise that didn't need any attention. But she was upset and crying, asking for a Band-Aid and an ice pack, so I thought it would be comforting and soothing to go along with her instead of telling her she was fine when she obviously didn't feel that way.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yes.
    Except not usually in the type of situation you describe. More because they (my twin boys) went through a heavy-duty Band-Aid-as-fashion-accessory period. The thing they most remembered about Christmas 2011 was that they got BAND-AIDS in their stockings!
    They have sometimes come running because they discovered an old bruise and realized it needed a Band-Aid, but again, this was not an emotional upset.

I absolutely agree with you about not minimizing/invalidating feelings or telling someone they are fine in response to clear upset. There's a difference between feeding into things (or outright catastrophizing things by injecting your own upset/anxiety into the situation) and validating feelings. The latter is about taking feelings seriously; it's not about freaking out about the feelings! A parent can be a calm home base (who knows things ultimately are okay) and still accept that a child's distress is valid, and care.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• No would have suficed coala
    we are not having a my kid is tough and yours is not party in here

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Yes, of course.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• yup
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Sure
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 8:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I always so that, I wont down play her pain- it may be minor to me but in her eyes at that moment it is tragic and I am her mom/grandmom it is my job to soothe her when she is sad, scared or in pain. If a bandaid does the trick great I can buy a box for 98 cents at walmart.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Yes, because they quit crying immediately!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I have. When they're not necessary they're just glorified stickers anyway. No harm, no foul.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Many times. If it makes her feel better it's doing it's job.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I have always told her she was fine unless she was really banged up and bleeding. She came into me last week and with blood dripping on my kitchen floor she says "Mommy I think I need a band aid", all this with no tears. Yup, she sure did. I had NO idea that she had even fallen off her bike. I cleaned her up and sent her back out to play. Sometimes I let them have the ice pack if she seems like she isn't calming down. I have raised a really tough kid. She used to apologize to the wall for walking into it when she was learning to walk.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2013