Idea to Keep Kids Busy in Restaurants

I was remembering today how when we would go out as I was growing up, my mom would always scramble up words, writing down the letters in the wrong order, for us kids to figure out. I did mine in my head since I couldn't read. She also taught us pig Latin, and played hang-man. My daughter isn't old enough for those games yet, but they're good once the kiddoes outgrow the kids' menu coloring pages.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• After my son outgrew the kids menu we started having conversations while waiting for our food.
    We also do spelling and math but the conversations are always the best.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I use to keep a small bag of things for my son to do/play with at a restaurant. It included some army men, a tic-tac-toe pad, some good quality crayons, a small pad of paper for him to draw pictures, and other small toys.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• We play I-spy,have conversations and my DS like to draw a lot the girl child on the other hand is a nightmare in restaurants.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• We would bring a few matchbox cars & a small book for my Son.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Oh, & when I was small it was a different world. My Mom never even cared if we were entertained at all. We sat there & didn't move or else we got the stink eye from her & her wrath when we got home. She never hit us but somehow she instilled extreme guilt into us that we feared her. LOL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I have a couple cars in my purse and in the check out lane at walart there are always these little activity bags that have Spongebob, Phineas and Ferb, Cars and some girl stuff. They have coloring pages, crayons, and stickers. So I keep one or two of those. But we also turn thos coloring pages around and play tic tac toe and other games Trying to teach him hangman, but he only knows small words so it's not too fun yet.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I always make the kids origami animals with the coloring sheets they give the kids. They love them and we don't have to worry about leaving a good toy behind.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:25 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• We bring stuff for her to color and talk. She LOVES to talk.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• We bring a busy bag. A small backpack he carries with supplies and wipes. A notebook, markers, small toys. Even small games and little party favor sized play dough. The pack is for eating out but also for stores or offices where we have to wait.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2013