Can my husband get full custody of his son, if his mother had a DUI ?

she had a DUI in 2011 she was on life support. she was recently in jail for breaking probation, for failing an alcohol test and also for marijuana. we had no idea about this until we got a lawyer for child custody, because my ss has been doing terrible in school, stealing, becoming more over weight, and he recently told us she was in the hospital for a week for alcohol poisoning, also she leaves him home alone for about 30 minutes. my stepson is 6 1/2. my dh has court like in ten days and I'm so nervous and praying we win!

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 10:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Relationships

• who has custody of the child now?
    the drunk MIL!!!??

why does she have legal rights (if that is the case)
    and if it is the case...get lawyer
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• The birth mom is who you're talking about?
    Without knowing what your DH is like,mostly likely he's the better parent

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• no its the BM yes she has custody
    mellyhayes

Comment by mellyhayes (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• If the court does not give your DH full physical custody, the system needs an overhaul. She will not win mom of the year for damn sure!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• He might but he will have to get evidence and prove that she is an unfit mother. That is harder than you think.
    You might share custody. Your lawyer is the best one to ask.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Whose mother has a DUI? Your stepson's mother or your husband's mother? If it's your stepson's mother, then I'd say if he has proof, your husband could get custody. If it's your husband's mother, unless she has custody of the kid, what she does really has no bearing on custody.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Who knows? Ask your lawyer he will have a better feel of how the case is going.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2013