People and Math...

I was looking a picture the other day and while I found it amusing in a way it also made me wonder about what I see as a problem in our society's mentality.

It just got me to thinking when did we stop just being accepting of a person not being exceptional at math or English or whatever and start seeing it as cool? Its a general thing I seem to be noticing. People laugh and joke about how they suck at some main grade school subject like its bad ass that they don't get it. I've seen it on tv shows, movies, in books... the heroes or heroines are usually not very good at one or many subjects and either don't put forth effort or put forth a large effort at the last minute so that they scrape by (that or a complete genius who never has to work at anything).

What the heck happened? When did it become a good thing, socially speaking, to be lacking in the area of general education? I get that some people struggle for many reasons. I get that some people even have disabilities. I certainly have no problem with any of those people... but when did being below average and not working at all to improve yourself become cool??? I've known some pre-teens that have laughed when they told me they might flunk math.... the hell?

Thoughts?

Nicky2911

Asked by Nicky2911 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• I agree with you, Nicky. First mediocrity was accepted, then it became cool. I wonder where we'll be in another twenty years.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I have seen it with kids, and I think the laughter is a result of embarrassment. I haven't seen it with adults. Not 18-19 year old kids, real adults.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 30, 2013