Filing for cash assistance through public aid, just got laid off, when is a good time to file??

So I worked retail, and the store closed down. I will be getting a severance, and I just applied for unemployment. Severance wont last long, and unemployment wont be much since I made crap to begin with. I tried filing for cash assistance before and with the combined household income we made $300 above their limit. But now since I am unemployed, I might as well try again. The only thing is ill be getting my last paycheck this friday, and if i file now wont it still show that we make too much? I dont really know how this works. Im also starting school at the end of feb for a one year dental assistant program. So I guess my question is, should I wait a while to file for cash assistance? Or does it not matter since im not working at the moment? And yes I know some of you will judge, but I live with my dad and my son. My dad is on disability and I worked full time until now, so no we don't make a lot of money.. hell, we cant even afford toilet paper sometimes, but apparently public aid thinks we make too much together. Any suggestions will be helpful!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• Call and ask.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:02 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• What state do you live in OP? It depends on what state you are in and what regulations there are. But as for cash assistence, its pretty hard to get if you bring in UE. But you want food assistance to help out, and possible medicaid if you have problems medically such as diabetes. But as to when, right now is good. They will want your last paycheck stub, proof of lay off, UE should do, but get a letter from your ex-employer just in case. They also will need rent/mortgage receipts, utilities YOU pay, any property taxes, homeowners/renter insurance you have to pay a year, any car payments if you pay, if not they will want to know what amount it would be worth selling it (kelly blue book) how many in the home all kinds of stuff. Thats why I always wonder how so many manage to fraud the system when they ask for that shit.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• The application for food stamps alone when I had to apply was over twenty pages. Prove everything. Bank statements, pay stubs, amount of severance, everything. Bes of luck to you, and hold your head up. You don't deserve to be judged by anybody; don't forget that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Be honest and show proof of everything. Im in the SNAPS program (food stamps) and it helps a lot...i lost my job when I was 8 months pregnant and my boyfriend lost his just this past November, never did I think we would end up on public assistance but I guess thats why its there. I even was approved for Medicaid for low income families. Things will get better for you and dont ever let anyone make you feel like you are being judged, you are doing what you need to. Good luck!
    newmom1978

Answer by newmom1978 at 7:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Now at the end of the month the lines will be much shorter
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 10:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Have you filed for unemployment yet? I would start there, also I don't think you need to add your father into it, just you and your son, they will also ask about child support and such, and if you have not filed for it, they will insist you do.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Call 211 and there is a brief eligibility interview that can do over the phone. It can take some time especially if you are getting vacation pay or something. Be honest with whatever is coming in as they will run your bank accounts. Good Luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2013