Subway made us sick. I plan to call them but what do I say?

Do I demand a refund? Threaten to call the dept of health (or whatever it is) or a lawyer? I know their food is what made us sick.

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 8:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Health

• You can tell them it made you sick and ask for a refund, but unless you have some test results that show what made you sick and that that particular thing was found in/on that specific food, you're really just going to be relying on them wanting to provide good customer service to give it back to you. Hiring a lawyer will be pointless - you'll spend thousands of dollars on what? An apology and a refund of...$20-30, tops? Why bother? As far as the health department - sometimes these things just happen. It doesn't necessarily mean they're doing something that would/should get them shut down. And the argument could be made, if you took the food home with you, that you didn't store it properly and therefore made yourself sick. Personally, I'd just suck it up and accept that I got sick and be glad it's over (or glad when it is over, anyway).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I'd just call and let them know that you became sick after eating there and you thought they should know. I got food poisoning once, many years ago, when I was pregnant with my second. I was in the hospital for a few days and was angry but, as my doctor at the time said, "you ate the evidence. Just let them know so that they can check their stock" That's really all you can do.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• You may know that but did you take your leftovers into your dr to have them tested? If not you don't have a leg to stand on. Tbh, there isn't much you can do.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• You don't have to be a snot, you asked the question not me. I worked in the food industry for over 10 yrs, I was just telling you the truth you can call lawyers all day and you will lose. # 1, you have no evidence, #2. It's flu & rotavirus season what's to say you didn't catch a 24 hr bug, can't prove that either. You can call, they will offer to give you new food, at best. But really do you want to eat there after getting sick. Honestly you will tell them, they will be all were so sorry but they dgaf lol.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• honestly i think it's silly to overreact like this. did it make you sick to the point that you needed hospitalization? if not, and you just had a case of the squirts, then get over it. it could be your system didn't agree with the food, and it had nothing to do with subway at all. i stay away from places like taco bell that make me sick every time i eat there. no need to get lawyers involved or call barbara walters.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Call them and ask to speak to a manager. When you get the manager let them know what happened and ask what they plan do do about it. I don't think you can threaten them with anything legal, but you can also lodge a complaint with the health department. You may not be the only people who have been sickened and the health dept. may inspect them at least.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Subway is a franchise so I don't know but be sure to go to the website and see if there is a corporate complaint office. That would have the most weight.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• This just happened last night. 3 of my family didn't even eat their food - they're fine. The 2 of us who ate our whole sub are sick. Everything else we all ate yesterday, someone else also ate and they're fine (ex. for lunch 11yo DD & I had the same thing, she couldn't eat her sub last night and she's fine. DS & 7yo DD ate the same lunch, DS didn't eat his sub and he's fine, DD ate hers and is puking). I don't care if you don't think I have a leg to stand on without testing - there are no leftovers from the 2 of us who are sickest so there's nothing to even freaking test. I have to call just don't know what to say.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Call the local Dept of Health & see what they can do. They may go in & fine them. The one & only time I ate at Subway, we brought the sandwiches home, opened them up & there was a roach moving in the middle of my sandwich! I dumped it all out but didn't bother calling. I wanted to puke.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2013