Thoughts on this? I think this attitude is disgusting

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, that is a piss-poor attitude.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I completely agree with you but I also see what point its making. My SS mom has been on welfare for 8 yrs, since she had her first child. She CHOOSES to stay home and not work and admits to it because why work when she gets free food and money? I think there should be a cut off after so many years or at least requirements. Something showing that you are trying to get by or trying to find work.
    It upsets me that there is so many hard working people out there barley getting by and they cant get help because maybe they make just little to much. But there are people who cheat and use the system and they get way more money then they need in food stamps. My druggy brother who chooses to live on the streets and not work because he likes the free handouts gets $400 a month just for himself.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• In some aspects it's true. I know a ton of lifers and its ridiculous.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• It does have a nugget of truth in it. It is an old one and it offends most people.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• In some cases that is true!! I think you should have to prove that you are trying to better yourself(I.E. getting a job, going to school)! Some people get it because they are just lazy! Not because they need it! I get assistance and it is so hard because of the people who go in and get it and don't really need it or are just lazy!!!
    krisandriley

Answer by krisandriley at 9:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I think is many cases it's true. I was on food stamps for a few months after I left my ex. While I was in the office I was sitting next to a mom instructing her grown daughter with child on filling out the forms - it's generational and they ARE dependent on it. I can list other examples too, that's just the most recent.
    The recent study out that people receiving PA have more "income" than a family making $50K/year just disgusts me.

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Good point.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• "I know a few lifers as well
    I take offense with comparing people to
    wild animals"

This.
    DonnaNoble

Answer by DonnaNoble at 11:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• despicable

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I would say the presentation sucks.

Some people are just lazy, but what's sad to me is that a lot of the ones affected by the generational cycle don't know there's anything better out there. I had a neighbor once who told me when she was thirteen years old that she couldn't wait for someone to "plug her" so she could get pregnant and have her own trailer and her own welfare. It broke my heart. At thirteen, that was all she expected out of her future, all she knew was possible.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2013