Breastfeeding with inverted nipples

has anyone had much luck with breast feeding with inverted nipples? If so, what are some tips you did to get it to work? Were you able to breast feed with any problems...Thanks Everyone!

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 11:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, I have inverted nipples and breastfeed both of my boys when they were little. I used breast shields until they came out. I would also take ice cubes to them just enough to make them pop out and then attach the baby to my nipple. The breast shields worked Great. Sometimes I would even twist them and tease them a little which sounds terrible but helped until I started using the Breast Shields. The Breast shields was the best for me. I found with my second child if you have a Breast pump that if you pump just enough for the nipples pop out it made it much easier for me and my little one and he would not get so frustrated to try to attach and it also helped to increase my milk production by pumping and gave me some to use when I was out where I needed to use a bottle only. May want to try this and see if it helps you. Best of luck!!
    2luvbugboys

Answer by 2luvbugboys at 11:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I dont have them, but I remember them showing us some special "cups" that help women with inverted nipples. They were like breast shields sort of. Call a lactation consultant and ask they really know their stuff.
    Anonymous

• I have one flat and one inverted and had a hell of a time breast feeding last time. I have seen these nipple shield things at target I have been looking at. They make your nipple kind of like a baby bottle nipple.

To be honest the pain and frustration I had last time made me quit so early, I'm bound and determined to give it a better go this time around. Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• You should try a breast shield. That should help. Try going to the Le Leche League website and they will have tons of tips on how to breastfeed with inverted nipples :)
    Anonymous

• Try a breastfeeding shield, not only does it help with inverted or flat nipples, they also help with latch on difficulties... You can buy them i think anywhere where they sell baby stuff.. i got one just to try it out... i actually got it from my shower.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• You can also get breast shells and start wearing them during pregnancy to draw the nipples out.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Thanks everyone for you answers. I will give the stuff a try when the time comes. Only about 2.5 more weeks till she is here!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2009