Help fixing my 13 month old's awful sleeping habits....

so try as we might to help our son develop good sleeping habits he is resistant to absolutly all of it....and me being newly pregnant with #3 am just too exhausted right now to think straight or even deal properly.

I tried to set up a great routine fro him- which sort of used to work- feed, medicines he needs, rocking and singing....he used to be able to be put down drowsy and go to sleep.....past month he's been sitting right back up or flipping over and wanting to fall asleep on me. I've been a little extra sensitive with him and his teething....but seems no matter how i try he wont go to sleep on his own- and will not cry it out....that is not even an option. just gets him way too upset and then hes up for 2 hours scared and needing me extra.

he is also up every hour and a half to two hours.....no matter what i try he wont sleep longer. doctor said to try bendryl and even that doesn't work....friend said try melatonin...doesn't touch him.....tylenol for teething? NOPE....tried getting him attached to things for comfort other than me..... NOPE. he is stubborn as all hell and I am exhuasted being 6 weeks pregnnat and still getting nup at night with him.

he also refuses to waen from me.....which i honestly have to do... for my sanity.

he know he must sense the changes in me- but hes always been very mommy needy and I have always been the only one who can provide what he needed because he never took to a bottle...ever.

I am just lost. I have an older child who took to routines very easily.. sleep trained in 2 nights and was pretty easy going with anythign we threw at him.

this one will only fall sleep on me....doesnt matter if i lay him down and rub his back, or just stand and rock him and hum....he wants to fall asleep on me. and I want to ease him into doing it on his own....like he should at his age. But I also want to be sensitive to him as well as his whole world is about to change.

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 11:02 AM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Even without the car accident issue, you could just consider it (his increased neediness, his night wakings, his restlessness) as an indication that he has some feelings to process (just to off-load in a supportive environment, to get out the crying he needs to, but not left on his own to "cry it out.") Growing babies have lots to heal from, in terms of times when they have felt upset, confused, insecure, startled, disappointed, lonely, angry, afraid. Those feelings are real & need to be expressed. Often, in "soothing" all their upsets ASAP, we interrupt the healing process (of expressing the distressing feelings) and the feelings stay inside, where they still are distressing. Then they drive needy or "demanding" behaviors, in order to cope/keep them down.

But when you add in the info of the accident, and how he became more challenging & needy after that, there's even more to suggest "stored fear" (his reaction to trauma.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• even tried bed sharing....hes too restless and still only sleeps an hour or two at a time
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I too have a 14 month old and am about 20 weeks. We are teething as well and what I found to be great Is bed sharing and everyone or you and baby go to bed nursing together. I have not slept so well in my life. Crying it out just puts soooo much stress on everyone in the house then we are all on edge
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 11:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• he started really getting bad after we were in a c ar accident in Oct when he was 10 months old.
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2013