People who work in HR or know anything about FMLA/ STD- please help?

I will be having my baby at the end of March/ beginning of April. I had planned on working up until my due date then taking Short Term Disability to get paid for 8 weeks (since I am having a c section) and FMLA consecutive so I can take a total of 12 weeks off. There is a strong possibility that I will be put off work within the next 2 weeks. My question is- if I get put off work early do I HAVE to use my FMLA consecutively with STD or can I save the full 12 weeks of FMLA for after the baby is born??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• I dont even think you can use FMLA for maternity leave
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• FMLA can be used any time up to 12 weeks (I think) to care for a family member, I.e. child birth, adoption, chronic illness of immediate family member. However, your employer isn't required to pay you, only hold your job. I don't know much about short term disability but I have heard other pregnant women doing this. That would definitely help financially. To use FMLA, you must check with your employer and fill out any necessary forms and do all that is required of you in notifying them. Not all employers are required to comply with FMLA, so check on that first.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I used FMLA for both of my 2 previous maternity leaves. I know I won't get paid using FMLA. My question is- if I get put off work early will I have to start using FMLA or can I save the full 12 weeks for after the baby is born??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• That I'm not sure. I guess it would depend on your employer, if they are willing to give you time off without filing FMLA.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• You got me curious, so I found this, hope it helps: http://www.ehow.com/about_6298163_fmla-vs_-short-term-disability.html

I'd make it a clickable link, but I'm on my phone.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• A pregnancy/childbirth-related disability leave will be deducted from an employee's FMLA (12) leave entitlement.

http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/ohr/supervisor/DGSFMLAPolicyProcedures.pdf

tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I got put off work early due to pregnancy and had to return early----12 weeks is 12 weeks, it's for the same "reason" so it does not count as a "separate event", allowing you to "start over" once you've delivered.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2013