Cops Arrest 7-Year-Old Over 'Robbery' of $5

Get ready for your "people be crazy" story of the day. A 7-year-old was handcuffed by police and charged with robbery over allegedly taking $5 from a classmate after school. Not crazy enough for you? Wilson Reyes was allegedly interrogated for 10 hours over the missing money before he was finally allowed to see his Mommy!

Yeah, that's the part that really got me too. I have a 7-year-old, and there's no way on God's green earth that I'd allow cops to sit her down and have a chat without me present.

The whole over-the-top incident comes out of the Bronx, where a kid apparently dropped $5 on the ground in front of some other little boys. One of them scooped it up, and Wilson got blamed (wrongly, it turned out).

OK, fair enough. These things happen. But you'd expect a principal to call all the kids involved into a room, hash it out, find out who was to blame, and get the money back, right? You wouldn't expect a 7-year-old to be hauled out of class by police and handcuffed.

You especially wouldn't expect this whole thing to go down without his mom being notified. But Wilson spent four hours in custody at the school and another six at the precinct.

When his mom was finally notified and got to the precinct, she says cops initially wouldn't allow her to see her little guy! When she was finally allowed in, a lawsuit against the city alleges she found her 7-year-old handcuffed to a wall.

Yes. She's suing. Wouldn't you?

If my child does something wrong in school, I don't just want to know. I need to know. It's my job, after all, to raise a good, upstanding citizen. I can only do that if I'm fully aware of what she's up to at school.

It's also my job -- and my right -- to be her advocate. She's only 7. She's still figuring out right from wrong, good from bad. Sometimes she makes mistakes. Sometimes she just needs her Mom to be there to help her navigate the scary adult world.

Remember what it was like to be 7? Imagine being accused of doing something you didn't do. My daughter tends to get righteously indignant because, well, she's SEVEN. She'll burst into tears, horrified that she's being called out for something she didn't do. Then she'll get angry and shut down.

I used to worry about her behavior until I talked to other moms. Turns out this is pretty standard 7-year-old behavior. They don't know how to respond to baseless accusations. They're just kids!

They need their parents to act as -- for lack of a better word -- interpreters. We explain to them what's going on, and we explain our kids to the outside world.

Wilson is now out of police custody, and the ridiculous "robbery" charge against the 7-year-old has been dropped. But this ordeal has no doubt changed him forever.

What would you do if cops interrogated your child without you?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG this story seriously made me cry, I would never allow cops to do that to my little man there would be hell to raise if this ever did happen. I am sorry but this makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it!
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 11:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Disgusting! I would sue the school, police and anyone else involved with this bullshit. That kid is going to be fucked up over this.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• wow...they have messed that kid up. at the age of 7 he's know "learned" that 1) cops are mean, 2) that school is not a safe place, 3) that you can get in trouble for things you didnt do, 4) that Mommy wont always be there, 5) not to trust the principal, teacher, cops, or other students. good luck mom...might wanna look at private or home schooling.

yeah id be suing too. talk about an over-reaction! and for $5 that fell on the ground...how about teaching the kid who lost money to take better care of his stuff?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Wow that is so wrong that should have been dealt at school and the first person they should have call was ME. I am not a sue happy person but for something like that I would definitely do it. That is just wrong.

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 11:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• That's horrible, I don't blame the mom I would sue too. My daughter is autistic so I can't see this happening to her but if it did omg heads would roll.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 12:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I'd have some heads on a platter over that one!

First of all, the kid is a minor. His parents have to be notified and present, or at least notified and unwilling to show up. And seven hours of interrogation, really? Handcuffs? Don't they have any real criminals to catch in the Bronx? Isn't there a lower limit to what police will get involved with? They waste all this time on five dollars?

And Okmanders is right, teach the othe kid to take care of his money. The parents--and nobodyelse--might chat with the boy about seeing who the money belongs to before he keeps it next time, but the cops? Seriously? What is this world coming to?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• He was held at school for 4 hours? And by the police for 6 hours?

So what happened to the kid who actually took the money? Did he go to prison?

This is so ridiculous. The mother is right to sue. I would do the same. I do not understand these schools that do not call the parents. WTF!
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Okay..I am still stuck on the police actually responding to a missing $5. They must be rolling in budget dough to use the manpower...tax dollars to pay for this. I guess the kid that did it got the death penalty.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• It was not necessary for the child to be arrested. face the real issues, take care of them and move on but no need to sue.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2013