My 6 year old has walking pneumonia. Have any of your children had it?

He has had a cough for weeks & then it stopped. Started up again with a low grade fever. I brought him in this morning to his Pediatrician & he diagnosed him with walking pneumonia. He gave us a prescription for a children's version liquid (Z-pack) antibiotic. Most likely this is a secondary infection from him already being sick a few weeks ago. I am bringing him back on Monday so the Dr. can recheck his lungs. I forgot to ask what if they don't clear up. He said if he feels OK he can go to school but he has a gag that sometimes he'll throw up phlegm so I'm keeping him home for now.

I was wondering if any of your kids had this & any recommendations you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 12:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Penumonia is one of those illness' that once you have it, even after the symptoms are gone, the strands of it are sitll in your body and you are now more suseptable to get it again.

I had it along with valley fever and it was horrible. I just took it easy, ate what i could and rested when needed. like walking,going upstairs or whatever.

Don't let your child push themselves to do too much and then start hacking it up and loose their energy.. its a pain in the butt having pneumonia. :(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I had it when I was in middle school. I just remember being very tired! I missed a week of school and then the next week only went 1/2 days (morning one day, afternoon the next). But the antibiotics cleared it up with no further problems.

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• It can stick around for a good long while. I think, were it me, I'd go ahead and keep him home for the first couple of days he's on the antibiotic. That will, hopefully, get the phlegm under control so he's not having to fight that at school.

If they don't clear up (which I believe they will) they'll probably do a sputum culture in order to change his antibiotics, if necessary. They may also include breathing treatments in his wellness plan.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I had it when I was younger. It really knocked me out. I was tired for a long time after.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• The kids haven't had it. The husband has a few times. I hope your kiddo feels better soon!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Prissy, Thank you!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2013