What other forms of discipline can I use?

My daughter is 2 days from turning 2. Just about every book she's been given have been ripped or torn. And I'm not talking about the regular thin paged books; I'm talking about the thick board books. I now have a selection of books she's not allowed to touch, just so they don't end up the same way. She was given a pop-up book of Elmo and Zoe and decided to tear Zoe out of the bood. Even after being told a thousand times "we don't tear books", she brought the book out and tore another page. So I tapped her had and took the book again. HUGE!! HUGE!! aguement over slapping her hand with my hubby. I've tried taking the books from her, time out, I talked to her...What am I missing? I give her several warnings and finally tap her hand. What else am I suppose to do?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your husband has a problem with you slapping her hand? Well, if he wants to baby her tell him you will go get a job and he can discipline her the way HE wants then put up with the spoiled attitude...lol..
    There's nothing wrong with slapping her hand..
    My guess is to quit letting her have books.
    Anonymous

• Do you read to her?

I say this b/c reading to children and showing them everyday how we treat books helps them learn.

I say this knowing she is not even 2 yet....soooooo give her a little time as well, she is probably going trough a phase and it will pass.

Children learn about books from having them and yes that includes tearing them up. (not that you should just let her) but here are a few suggestions.

Buy dollar general books. CHEAP
    Put more expensive or special books up for just you to read to her and then put back up.
    Put her at her highchair or table with a few books, give her 10 minute book time. then clean up.
    Physically show her how to turn the pages, and point out the pictures and WORDS. (they notice even though they are little) ;)

This stage will pass and your work will create a book lover!

I am a teacher by the way :) sorry I sound like a teachers textbook ;) lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Give her things she CAN tear - paper, material, different tactile things she can rip apart and even put back together. Puzzles, blocks, things like that, too - things she can manipulate, tear apart, and learn that some things can be put back together and some cannot. I believe in teaching kids to respect books, so as soon as she starts to rip a page, I would take the book away and give her something else to rip and tear - maybe even pictures from magazine or something like that...but not books.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 14, 2009