how can I get him to sleep without being held?

Ever since I brought my 6 week old from the hospital he has slept with me at night. At 1st it was because i was too paranoid he would die in his crib so it comforted me to feel him breathing on me now he will not sleep without being held. He peeks his eyes open to see if someone is still by him and if not he'll scream.
What can I do to help him sleep solo?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 11:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A heartbeat CD. My husband was in the Army and they gave me a care package after I had my daughter and that CD was in there. It played soft music with a light heartbeat in the background. That's the only thing that will work for my daughter. Babies like the sound of a heartbeat. You can probably google where you can find one.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• you don't. babies need their parents. they're most comfortable with mom's warmth and beating heart, so that's where they like to sleep =) i'd buy a sling so he can sleep happily while you do other things. it's great for bonding even when you're busy.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• At 6 weeks, I wouldn't worry about it. He's still very young. If you're concerned it could become a problem, try a swing. Put him in a swing and let it rock him to sleep. It'll still comfort him but he'll get used to sleeping without you holding him. Then slowly try putting him in his crib for naps. Eventually, he'll be more comfortable there.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Co-sleeping is wonderful and so beneficial to babies. Read up on it and you won't mind him sleeping with you.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Oh, I could use help with that one too, except, mine is 26 months. lol. He still sleeps with me, which I didn't mind overly much until recently, he's like sleeping with a tornado! He never stops moving... Here's to hoping Blue's Clues bedding will help him sleep in his own bed... *fingers crossed*
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 12:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• How old is your baby? One thing to remember is that babies have suffocated to death when their mothers accidentaly smothered their faces while sleeping. If you really want him to sleep by himself you are going to have to let him cry it out. You can also try giving him a stuffed animal and music so he doesn't feel alone.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 8:25 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i useally just let my 3 week old sleep with me untill he is in a deep sleep then i move him to his cradle.... i know its a lil bothersome to hold them till they fall asleep but its better then hearing them cry i wouldnt try the cry out method untill at least 3 months of age... by then they should be sleeping on their own any ways... or maybe even set ur baby in a bouncer and let him/her fall asleep there and then move them....
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:57 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• More babies die ALONE in a crib than they do sleeping in bed with their parents. One thing to remember is that the crib manufacturers are the ones behind the crib sleeping campain. It's just not natural to have a baby sleeping in a crib.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Even experts who recomend CIO say not to use it until 6 months of age. That really is cruel to do to tiny babies!
    MoonLover06