Question about painting walls (pictures included)

This is my first time paining walls. I did get alot of tips from the Lowes staff but ofcourse it's different when you actually start doing the job. Anyways, I have painted the first coat. I have let it dry and I see these lines formed by the paint roller. Aren't they suppose to go away after they dry? Or should I paint the second coat and that makes the difference.
I am just using the basic paint roller picked up from lowes and painting in up and down or W motion. What else could I be doing wrong which is causing my wall to look like this? Thanks

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Did you use a good primer? but in general those few spots should cover nicely with a second coat
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• it will take 2-3 coats the first one always looks bad ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• thats a pretty common painting problem. how long have your walls been drying? sometimes spots can get more paint than others and take longer to dry. if thats not the problem, then the second coat should take care of it. i usually see those kinda spots when i paint the first coat but i dont have any on my walls right now so it will disappear.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• were your walls cleaned b4 painting? are you using the correct type roller? also, the 2nd coat will look better but sometimes when the walls are not clean it can look not even...
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• You definitely need a second coat.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• You'll need at least one more coat.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• it always looks bad after one coat - you shouldnt see the lines after the 2nd coat dries
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 3:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• It also happens if you stop and re start and then the paint drys uneven. The 2nd coat should cover it though. My DH paints for work and normally does 3 coats at the houses.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Im using valspar paint which has primer in it. The walls are white to begin with and they are pretty clean. hoping it'll look better after the second coat then
    cookie269

Comment by cookie269 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• thanks ladies. makes me feel much better now. I was beginning to worry i screwed up!! lol
    cookie269

Comment by cookie269 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2013