Yesterday a man in AL got on a school bus, shot the driver, took a small child and he still has him!

As this story has evolved over the last 24 hours it turn out that this man may have some SERIOUS mental health issues!

After the Sandy Hook tragedy, mixed in with the gun control screams, were people saying that the mental health system in this country needs to be overhauled and really looked into. It didn't take long for that to snowball into a "not my child/ailment/diagnosis". It was incredibly bad to target a specific disease (Not sure if these are diseases or syndromes?) like Autism or schizophrenia or any the other of the many mental health problems people have. I know on my fb feed there were people posting pictures of their children with these various things saying THIS is the face of XYZ.

Then there was this blog that passed around by a woman saying that she was the mother of the man that killed those people. She wasn't really, but her point was that her child got WAY out of control. To the point that she feared for HER life and that of her family but she resisted the urge to commit him somewhere. 

I am not sure I am asking this right but I guess my question is do you think that it is possible to have some kind mental health overhaul that is able to pick out the crazy killer people and lock them up? Do think there is a point where the choice of institutionalizing is removed from the hands of the family that love them and put in the hands of a more objective person? What do YOU think is the solution for this recurring problem?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2013/jan/30/deadly-school-bus-shooting-leads-standoff-suspect-ar-5478411/

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Yes, it's somewhat possible. At least with serial killers, they show very similar signs starting in childhood. But, there are some that appear "normal" until they have a psychotic break.

However, it will never happen. Patients rights have been pushed so high that often mental health professionals have their hands tied. A good solution though would be to open more gov run mental health hospitals. But, as we've seen, most people don't want to pay for the healthcare of others & it shows.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Often the people who love the mentally il want to get them help, but lack of funding by insurance companies and lack of government-supported hospitals leaves them with nowhere to go.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I read that today and its tearing my heart up. I hope they retrieve that child and he/she is safe. That bus driver was a hero
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• This is sad. This guy was suppose to appear in court for shooting at his neighbor. LINK

DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 3:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• geeze..this is the 1st i've heard of this. i hope that sweet baby is safe
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• ^^^That's just horrible. Again, someone like that has no right to have access to guns.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• It's near Dothan, AL josiemommy. I think the severe weather kinda overshadowed it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• It seems you totally missed the point of that blog. She didn't resist committing her son, they wouldn't take him unless he’d already harmed someone. Being a totally out of control threat wasn't enough. He had to cross the line to doing measurable damage first. That's what needs an overhaul.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Here's updates if anyone is interested. http://blog.al.com/montgomery/2013/01/midland_city_bunker_standoff_n.html#incart_river_default
    Can't make clicky.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2013