My son sucks his thumb and I think he may have a wart!!!

Okay, I am really scared. My son sucks his right thumb only. About a week or so ago, I saw this hard bump thing on his thumb and I thought that maybe it was a callous from sucking his thumb. But now it is starting to look like a wart. I know the obvious thing is to take him to the doctor and I am going to do that. I am just so freaked because I can't get him to stop sucking his thumb and I am afraid he will get warts in his mouth!!! What do you think the doctor will do for it?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Health

• Make an appointment now. It took me 3 months to get rid of my wart..........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's probably just from sucking it. I sucked my thumb when I was little and had callouses on it from the sucking. It could also be a blister. My sister sucked her fingers and developed a blister that had to eventually be lanced open and drained. Try to keep him from sucking the best you can. Try a band-aid maybe. But get him to the dr. to check it out. It could be any of the things mentioned.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:42 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i agree it is prolly just a callous my son is a terrible thumb sucker and has two callaces from it (he is 4) i am trying like crazy to break the habit but it will happen when he is ready. If your really worried about it take him to the doctor and see what they think
    Steffanny

Answer by Steffanny at 10:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• oh and when he stops they will go away ^^
    Steffanny

• You could try getting him to wear a thumb guard. It's a device that parents purchase and put on their child's thumb to prevent thumbsucking. It's just a rubber device, much like a bottle nipple, that fits over the thumb.
    I don't know how old your son is, but if he is too young to stop sucking and needs the comfort, then I would get him to a doc asap and find a thumb guard, too. The doc will make a suggestion as to what to do if he thinks sucking is not a good idea while the bump (whatever he diagnoses it to be) heals.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2009