My son sucks his thumb and I think he may have a wart!!!

Okay, I am really scared. My son sucks his right thumb only. About a week or so ago, I saw this hard bump thing on his thumb and I thought that maybe it was a callous from sucking his thumb. But now it is starting to look like a wart. I know the obvious thing is to take him to the doctor and I am going to do that. I am just so freaked because I can't get him to stop sucking his thumb and I am afraid he will get warts in his mouth!!! What do you think the doctor will do for it?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If it is a wart, it's caused by a virus, not contact. He can get more warts anywhere if he has that particular virus.

I find it highly unlikely he will get warts in his mouth from sucking his thumb. I used to have one on each hand...my hands touched my body all the time and I never had any other warts.

IF you take him in, and the doctor wants to remove it he will probably either burn it or freeze it off. I don't know about a little one.

But warts don't spread from contact.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has that on her right thumb. Shes been a thumb sucker since she was born (now 4 yrs old). Its probably a callus (sp?) and very unlikely to be a wart.
    :-)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:06 AM on Feb. 15, 2009