What should I do first potty train or take them off the bottle?

My kids just turned 1 and 2 (literally last month and this month). I've tried taking her off of the bottle, but didn't work since she would see her brother with a bottle and would think it was hers. So I've been trying the potty for a few months now and she shows no interest in asking for the potty. I sit in there for a few minutes and nothing happens. First thing in the morning I let her sit on the potty and it workd a couple of days and then once again nothing. With him turning 1, I want them both off the bottle. Should I do the sippy cup and put the potty on hold for a while?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would do bottle first with BOTH of them.

Both of my kids were off bottle by age 1. They can use a sippy now.

Potty training will probably come at an older age and will take a lot more work and patience.
    Anonymous

• BREAK THE BOTTLE FIRST WITH BOTH OF THEM. ALL THREE OF MINE WERE OFF THE BOTTLE AT 11 MONTS. ALL THEY GET IS A SIPPY CUP. YOUR POTTY TRAINING I WOULDN'T START UNTIL CLOSER TO 3. GET THEM ALL OUT OF THE HOUSE.....SO THERE ISN'T A "I WANT, AND YOU GIVE IN"

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yep, I'd get him on a sippy cup and then get both off the bottle. You're wise to tackle one at a time for her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'd work on the bottles for both of them, but I wouldn't completely give up on the potty. I'd work with both of them on getting used to the idea of the potty...at least sitting on it at certain times...when they get up, before baths, before leaving the house, before bed, etc...just getting used to sitting.

I have two who are 11 months apart. I have trained the older one and am working on the "idea" of the potty for the younger. (we were done with bottles at 6 months)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:15 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Def work on the bottle first. With the bottle you have more of a constant liquid intake. Sippy cups break it up more. Try cups with straws too.
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 8:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I would switch both of them to a sippy first. They're probably getting a lot of fluids being on the bottle which will make it harder to potty train them.
    Deb_Jones

Answer by Deb_Jones at 8:19 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• As long as they're on the bottle, they're drinking more and will not be easy to train. That was my experience anyway. My oldest , don't remember his age, but he could open the fridge and get his bottle and was off milk, but drank bottles full of pineapple juice. Of course he peed all the time. To break him, I filled his bottle with grapefruit juice and left it in the fridge. He'd get it, take a swig and toss it down, after enough times, he quit getting it. LOL Hey, I was a kid myself and it worked!
    RedHatLinda

Answer by RedHatLinda at 9:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'd work on the bottles first. As much as you may be ready to potty train your child, keep in mind that there is a good chance your child may not be ready at such a young age. I think it is pretty uncommon for a child who has just turned 2 to be ready for potty training. My youngest ds will be 2 next month, and we are not even thinking of potty training yet. I think most children are really ready between 2 -1/2 and 3 years.
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 9:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• First, Bottle VS. Cup has more to do with the childs abilty the hold the cup and suck in a diffrent way then they would with a bottle. Sippy cups are a great alternative to bottles. Kinda of a lazy mom alternative to a regular cup. Cant spill, plus the child can still hold and sip at it almost like a bottle for the comfort. I loved them !

Potty training is a whole other skill set your child must be able to master. 2-3 years of age is the range for potty training. Some learn quick some take well into 31/2 years.

Dont force it and dont get crazy if it doesn't happen right away. The more you push the more frustration you will cause for you both. Make it fun, a game with rewards and prizes for big girls that use the potty. Get pretty special panites or pull ups. Don't forget regression of the older child is common when a new baby is added to the family.
    Good LUCK!!!!
    mellowmommy64

Answer by mellowmommy64 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I would do what the other moms here said. Get rid of the bottles for both of them at the same time. Mine are close in age (14mos apart) and when my oldest turned 1 and I was about a month away from delivery, I got her off the bottle. It bothered her for awaile seeing bottles when I fed her sissy. She took it from me and tasted it and gagged. Decided milk tasted much better than formula. If she shows no interest in potty training then there's no reason to keep on. You can't make them. When they're ready, you'll know it and so will she. That usually comes around at 2.5 -3 years of age. Good luck, Mama!!
    yadayada

Answer by yadayada at 10:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2009