DH's boss wants him to come up with how much of a raise he wants...

Seriously my dh's boss is so... SPACEY, for one, but just not exactly a "boss" when it comes right down to it. DH runs the whole company (local ISP, just him and 2 other employees and really quite a small company) practically and just okays everything through the Boss, but a lot of the time the boss comes to DH for answers or opinions on stuff. So I guess it shouldn't surprise me that he wants DH to come up with his own idea for a raise :P The problem is we don't know how much to ask for! There are so many to it for us, we are getting our own house soon so obviously will have more expenses. The changes to the tax brackets and the Social Security and everything is gonna have an effect (already IS on his checks so we need to figure out how MUCH of an effect depending on the raise). Plus he wants dh to think about going to Salaried instead of hourly wage but didn't say if that was gonna mean no more sales bonuses or "on-call" bonus or anything :-/ Sigh, sometimes I wish they still had the payroll/HR lady that worked there when DH first started with the company but then dh would not be manager and would probably be making less anyways. Anyways, just needed to vent a little, although I'm happy about the raise!

SO, have you ever been asked how much money you wanted from a job? Or has it just been "This is what your salary/wages will be" with no input?

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 4:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• Your DH needs to take in a spread sheet, of how much the business has grown, then ask for at least a 20% raise, if the boss doesn't pay attention to his profit/loss this could be a bad thing, but if DH has grown it most excellent, and a handshake on the fact, if it happens again he will give him that much again, and maybe profit share?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Take it to the limit!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Always ask for to much. Because they will never give you it anyways. does your DH get get hourly pay or salary pay?

Answer by louise2 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I've heard of that happening a lot, actually. Keep in mind that by buying your new house (congrats!) you will have more expenses, but you will also have a big break on your taxes.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 4:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I've been asked. Your pay doesn't go by your expenses. Research what comparable positions in your area make and then shoot towards the top end of that.

Answer by missanc at 6:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• He should go in armed with the information of all of the duties he performs for the company. He should not underestimate his worth and as missanc notes - research the pay for comparable positions. Remember salaries can be negotiated - if the owner feels it is too much, he will counter with a different figure.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Louise, he gets paid hourly now. Missanc, that is a really good idea, thanks for the advice! And Jersey, also a good idea! :)
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• i would ask for $5 to $10 extra an hour. Knowing I would never get that much.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Be careful people actualy lose the job because of to high of an income. Go to www.salary.com to find out what the going market rate is.

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2013