Ankle Problems

Hi, I hope someone can help with this.

I am having quite a bit of ankle pain. It is more behind the outside bone. It has also buckled a couple of times in the last month. I have not injured it in anyway (well, before it started hurting) I sometimes literally cannot walk on it it hurts so bad and then it settles down and is barely noticeable.

I hope this makes sense

snookyfritz

Asked by snookyfritz at 8:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Health

• I would see a doctor. I've sprained the same ankle twice and broken the other ankle. The ankle I sprained, the second time I did it was when I thought I hadn't done anything to injure it. But somehow I did manage to sprain it. I have lots of ankle pain now after all the injuries I've done to them, so I tend to ignore mine, but if this came on rather suddenly for you, I would see a doctor. Worst case, they tell you it's something minor, but I wouldn't risk continuing to walk on it without knowing that it's not injured. I walked on my second sprained ankle for a good three weeks before I went to the doctor, and what should have taken 4-6 weeks to recover (according to my doctor) took me about 9 weeks. It sucked.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Thank you, I'm trying to avoid paying for an x ray. But maybe I should
    snookyfritz

Comment by snookyfritz (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• They may not need to do an x-ray - my doctor didn't. She looked at it, moved it around some, felt it, and a couple of other things that I can't for the life of me remember (which is really stupid, since it was only last August!), and knew what I'd done.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I have had several surgeries on one of my ankles. The ligaments in my ankles are loose. When I was is high school the one I have had surgery on got worse. The ligaments got so loose that even just standing still my ankle would give out and I would hurt it. SO any time anyone says to me that they are having trouble with their ankles I always say 'get to a pediatrist asap!' You just never know!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Arthritis often shows up in the ankles, especially after they're injured. I sprained both of mine within a few weeks of each other two years ago. I had good luck drinking Joint Juice, which has chondroitin and glucosamine in it. It also has artificial sweeteners, in case you need to be careful of them, but you ccan get supplements at vitamin stores if they turn out to help you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Thank you for all the great advice. I have just ordered Chondroitin and glucasmine supplements, I'm crossing my fingers that they help. I just do not like getting old
    snookyfritz

Comment by snookyfritz (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• chondroitin and glucosamine won't help!! There isn't a lot of research to back that up. You take it for a month or say and thing you are getting better, but you were going to get better in that time frame anyways!!

Without more info and/or being able to perform a physical exam all I can tell you is to see a doc... preferably an ortho. And, make sure you have enough arch support in your shoes. More problems are cause buy this than anything else.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Thank you Crafty26
    snookyfritz

Comment by snookyfritz (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2013

• Sorry about the typos there.... I hate the laptop keyboard! LOL Hope you feel better ASAP! ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2013