Are your kid's teachers trained or merely accredited?

DD is struggling in Math.

She came to her current school from another where she was failing math. I put her in her grade level of math and in an additional math class.

She has struggled all year. She has gone in early and stayed late. Kid obviously needs more help.
When her instructor called, yet again, the other night we had a longer than usual conversation.

Turns out, this Electrical Engineer recently out of College does not have a degree in math, teaching or teaching math to students who just don't get it.

I am trying to find her the help she needs and discussed with the school placing her with an actual math teacher.

Apparently there is no such thing in the middle schools in my area. They are Accredited. But not course specific trained educators.

Looks like we are going to have to put her in 7th grade math to catch up/ learn/ relearn (how ever you want to describe it) while continuing the additional class so she is able to attend the appropriate 9th grade class.

The only other option is to put her in special education math classes. And watch her continue to fall behind and be ill prepared for college level mathematics.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 8:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in

• Have you, by chance, had her evaluated for math dyscalculia? It is being diagnosed more regularly now and there are some cool new treatment options out there......just an idea and I'm sorry I didn't actually answer the question, as I don't know for sure here in Chicago. In MN they have to be certified in their subject area.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• So sorry. Wow. At my son's school , certified with extra credentials.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• All of our teachers have to have a degree in or related to the field they are teaching and a childhood education certificate plus continued education... I guess I don't know what that makes them...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I thought teachers had to have a degree in education and some kind of certificate or something. Wow.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Must depend on the state. Here's a link on accreditation

So like a said, an electrical engineer (ok good with numbers) is now teaching math. .

feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• My son's teacher is trained and certified in elementary education. In the state of Georgia, teachers can have a degree in something else, and get a provisional license to teach, however, they have one year to get certified as a teacher meaning they have to take the classes on how to teach, class room management, and they have to be observed for so many hours/lessons.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Is there a local college in your area? See if there are any education majors who would like to tutor your child.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Yes, there is local college.
    It looks like we may have to get t tutor. I will have a better idea by spring break.

When she first got to this school and began taking the second class, everything began to click and she was very excited...she was beginning to think she was dumb.

Then they threw these new concepts at her without her having a decent grasp on the previous concepts.

Then the principal tried to tell me how much of a pain in the ass it would be to change her math classes. Yeah- that went over like a lead zepplin.

I told him, "considering how many parents don't care are you really going to give ME the run around"?

"Flunking 8th grade because of math is stupid and my kid is not stupid".

They are working with me Know- but argh!
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Is this a public school?
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 9:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Yes public school. There are three or four middle schools and none of them have an actual "Math Teacher".
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2013