Are your kid's teachers trained or merely accredited?

DD is struggling in Math.

She came to her current school from another where she was failing math. I put her in her grade level of math and in an additional math class.

She has struggled all year. She has gone in early and stayed late. Kid obviously needs more help.
When her instructor called, yet again, the other night we had a longer than usual conversation.

Turns out, this Electrical Engineer recently out of College does not have a degree in math, teaching or teaching math to students who just don't get it.

I am trying to find her the help she needs and discussed with the school placing her with an actual math teacher.

Apparently there is no such thing in the middle schools in my area. They are Accredited. But not course specific trained educators.

Looks like we are going to have to put her in 7th grade math to catch up/ learn/ relearn (how ever you want to describe it) while continuing the additional class so she is able to attend the appropriate 9th grade class.

The only other option is to put her in special education math classes. And watch her continue to fall behind and be ill prepared for college level mathematics.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 8:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in

• Is this a public school?
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 9:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Yes public school. There are three or four middle schools and none of them have an actual "Math Teacher".
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• No, I haven't and thank you for the information. I will look into it. It may also be the same issue I have.
    You rock for great advice and info.
    THANKS!
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• You will find that in most schools, especially private. Everyone thinks because someone is a teacher, they have a degree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• neither.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2013