Consider the ramifications of what Gov. Jindal of Lousiana has set in motion

It seems that so many who were in favor of the voucher system promoted by Jindal were only considering that Christian schools would be receiving state funds to indoctrinate children.  That was all well and good, until it occurred (at least to some) that it would mean that (gasp!) Muslim schools would also be entitled to receive state funding through taxpayer money!  Oh!  The horror!

Read this, and comment.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Religious Debate

• LOL I said this all along though honestly I doubt muslim schools were one that I named, There are Jewish and Catholic and Baptist and LDS private schools among others. There are secular private schools as such montesori The freedom vouchers were not necessarily for religious schools either but to be used to obtain the best education for your child. It was to gove freedom to improve the the child's ability to learn but also to improve the quality of the exisitng education.

That this gov. Didn't think through all the ramifications is nothing new. He is a politicia,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Louisiana's education system is crap...Jindal was trying to do anything and everything to make their system less shitty. my BIL graduated recently, and even tho his mother was a public school principal, he went to a private Catholic school...cause their schools are just that crappy.

also, i almost punched my computer when i read that women's "truth" about the Founding Fathers religion...politicians should have to take a US history course before taking office...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Oh I am gonna love to watch the fur fly on this subject!!
    A little off topic...I loved the "I sold my soul on Ebay". I just about spit water all over my computer when read that!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• This idiot needs to learn that most of the Founding Fathers were Deists. On a side note, I go to The Friendly Atheist daily and I have never seen so many comments before. I can't wait to read them all.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 6:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I wonder if she meant the founders of the US or of Louisiana? My knowledge of Louisiana history is pretty shaky but the last time I went on one of those walking-history tours of New Orleans, I think I remember something about it being founded by cannibals or something... probably not something Hodges would approve of. Wikipedia doesn't say anything about cannibals but it does point out that Louisiana was founded by the French who were pretty exclusively Catholic (unless you wanted to be persecuted). So does she think only Catholic schools should get the funding? Wikipedia also points out how today's Louisiana creole culture is largely shaped from slave culture, and it's likely that many slaves were Muslims... again, probably not something she'd appreciate knowing.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I know... Wikipedia. Yup, that's the level of effort I put into this.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Sebbiemama, you have made me laugh so  hard with your comments.  I started to think about private Cannibal schools . . .

Oh, my, but I needed that!

Thank you.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Jindal is an idiot- the educational reform movement has nothing to do with religion, it has everything to do with money- its all about funneling public tax dollars to private industry, its about profit- the pot of education money is in the billions and hedge fund managers and private business are behind these reforms- so although the people may be upset by the Muslim education, the masterminds couldn't really care less- money is money-but yes, I do enjoy those that blindly back this movement being upset-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2013