Tattoo Question

A friend of mine recently had her laptop stolen. The thief was caught on a video surveillance camera. He had a very distinctive tattoo on his neck which was visible on the film. My friend says the police officer who did the report told her that tattoo artists had recently started having to register the tattoos they did, and the names of the people who had them done, because of all the gang activity around tattoos. That doesn't sound right to me. I don't think a ruling like that could be enforced because people get tattoos done by friends or privately operating artists all the time. Has anybody else heard of this?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I've never heard of it. I have 2 tats, and the second one was really unique so my artist wanted to take a photo for his portfolio. Part of me thinks "ridiculous and kind of invasive", but another part thinks "What's the big deal?" As far as they get seen by the public anyway - not necessarily. Mine are both in places that people only see them if I want them to. Which is where my first thought comes in. I guess I would just look at it as one of those things that if I don't want to do it, I either shouldn't get a tat or should go to someone who won't register it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not like it's hurting anyone. Plus, tattoos are eventually seen by the public anyway so expecting privacy is kind of pointless. It's also no different than the motor vehicles dept. noting whether or not you wear glasses or contacts and what color hair you have.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• i see nothing wrong with it. I have 3 tattoos, 2 of which were in the last year and my tattoo artist never took pictures of it for registration.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I would think that would go along with breast implants have serial numbers. I see nothing wrong with it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• No but I think its a really good idea, that way we can catch more criminals... And if they get caught in jail with an unauthorized tattoo itshould beregistered there.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it, as in, I wouldn't mind registering mine. The idea just sounded strange to me.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2013