Advice about a life changing decision

I have two girls, a two year old and a 7 month old. My husband works 14 hour shifts and takes care of our family while i am a stay at home mom and currently in a CNA training course. I go to class 3 nights a week from 4pm-9:15pm. I havent thought about being a nurse all my life. I actually thought about it after i graduated from cosmetology school in 2009 and realized that i liked caring for others and the feild i was in at the time (cosmo) did not pay enough for the amount of work i was putting in and it also wasnt helping pay to care for my kids. I knew the only way i could really grow in this business was to build a good clientele but i didnt want my income to rely on other ppl. I needed a career where i could take care of other ppl and be appreciated and not looked at like im not anything and be treated as such, and a career that i could rely on so my husband does not have to work 6 days a week, 14 hrs a day.

Thats why i decided to start the CNA program. BUT... this is so so so foreign to me! I did not see myself working in the medical feild, as it has always been a very intimidating thought! ..... Well the point in me writing this is, i been looking into nursing programs...where i could continue my education and do an LPN course to not only be able to have more responsiblities and have a wider variety in places i could enjoy doing my work, but also earn more of an income to provide for my children. My question is..... I am sooooo nervous and i want to be sure that this field really is for me!! So should i work as a CNA for a few months, see how i like it , shadow LPNs to see what really it is that the job responsibilities are before starting the LPN course? Or should i just go ahead and go right into the LPN program, get it done while i have the chance and the time works best for all of us and just hope for the best??!?

Im so nervous to go to Nursing School but im also so nervous to not take up the opportunity!

Have you been through nursing school while have kids and no family to help but just you and your husband to make it happen?
Were you extremely nervous to start Nursing School??

Thanks ahead of time for an advice given! Very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• It seems to me that it makes the most sense to work as a CNA for a few months and shadow LPNs to see what the job responsibilities are. That way you can have some exposure to it first. Change is scary and there are many "right" choices. Take it a day at a time and see how it goes. GL!!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• The internet could be a big resource in your journey.Tasks & Responsibilities of an LPN  http://www.ehow.com/list_6547404_tasks-responsibilities-lpn.html   and http://www.lpnsalarystats.com/lpn-duties-what-does-an-lpn-do/   What the duties are.  Good luck.

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I would at least work as a CNA for a few months before starting up nursing school. You sound a little apprehensive about even working in the nursing field, so it may be a good idea to ensure that you will like the duties of being a CNA before you add any more to it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• I'd work as a CNA too to see how the nurses interact with the patients, see what the job responsibility entails. Don't let it fool you either, some CNAs think that all nurses do is walk around and pass out meds, and they feel it "unfair" that they have to do most of the "grunt work". Passing pills is not easy, esp when you have to physically give the pills to 32 patients in a 7 hour time frame, up to three times--considering that you only have a one hour window to get each med pass completed, check blood sugars, count narcs, give insulin, do charting and paperwork, and do dressing changes. There are very few incidences of "getting off work on time" in the nursing field. There have been many days I'd rather have been doing the "grunt work", and let someone else handle the responsibilities.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2013