My sister sort of hurt my feelings today!

I was telling my sister how I was going to school for medical billing and coding. She had asked me how much they get paid hourly. I told her 25.00/hr. (I worked at a hospital, and a medical biller told me this herself).
When I told her this, she goes. "Thats it? Like how can you even live off of that. Thats something I would do as a job, not a career. "

Shes going to school to become an RN! I understand that shes going to be making way more than me. I honestly don't care. I'm proud of my little sister...But seriously? That was rude, and something she should have kept to herself...

My question here is.
Can you live comfortable making 25.00 an hour? I live in the dallas metroplex. I have one kid, and don't plan on having anymore anytime soon!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2013 in Money & Work

• I would be awesome at the much when it was just me and DD1 and we live in Orange County CA.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I do not know what the cost of living is like in Dallas, but heck ya where I'm from that is Awesome!

Being a little sister myself I can see how she would need to belittle your accomplishment because she probably feels like shes been in your shadow her whole life. My personal feelings on being the little sister.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I have a hard time believing that. Nurses in my area don't even make that much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Cost of living must be super high. RNs make like $20/hr if they're experienced around here.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• 20x40=800
    800x50 (accounting for 2 wks vaca)=40000

if sis cant live off of that she may need to consider moving or cutting expenses
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• we are a family of 4 and live off less
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• 25 and hour plus your vacation is usually paid $52,000 a year
    I live in Texas and yes you can live comfortably on that.

Good luck to your sister I hear nursing school is not easy.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 3:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• $25? a hour? HELL YEAH! I make more then half of that and I am living off of that a single mother of two kids WITHOUT public assistance,
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• She said she can't live off of $25/hour?? Seriously? Wow. Maybe she needs to reevaluate her priorities. I can't imagine making that much money. I mean, with what I make now, I would only have to work like 10 hours a week at that pay rate to earn what I do. Wow. I would feel rich, like seriously wealthy with that. And someone is out there turning their nose up at that? I would really have to say that someone needs to learn a few life lessons, soon.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• $25/hr would seem like peanuts to me, too... but I live in SoCal where everything is pricey. From the cost of living calculator I found online, housing is 70% cheaper where you are, and overall cost of living is 31% cheaper.

Is your sister in the same area or elsewhere?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2013