How can I get my 3 yr old to poop in the potty. She asks for a diaper!

mommyoftwo72

Asked by mommyoftwo72 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• See if you can get her to sit on the potty in her diaper. If she is used to going standing up, she will need to learn to go sitting down.
    Once she is willing to go while sitting, see if you can get her to go with the diaper inside the potty.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• this is what worked for me.....I created a potty chart to help her go potty but once it came to pooping i made a poopy chart. I made a grid on a poster board with the big label "autumn's poopy chart." Everytime she went poopy she got a sticker (this is what we did to initially get her interested in the potty and it completely worked but poopy took a little longer). Once the chart was completely filled out with stickers she got a reward. I know someone that bought a gift for their child the first time they went in the potty but that doesn't work because they only went that time. Once the whole chart is filled out...they have done it so many times that it is a habit. With the potty chart she got to go to chuck-e-cheese when it was completed and she got a toy with the poopy chart. They are really proud to put stickers on a chart and then have a goal to look towards. it is a good visual.
    kaufmt0220

Answer by kaufmt0220 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Tell her no- diapers are for babies and you are a big girl now & Thats it. Go right to big girl underwear all the time and ditch the security of diapers and pull-ups. Will there be accidents? Absolutely- they are part of the learning process. She is too old to be in diapers. You need to be the one to make potty training fun for her- even be positive w/ accidents! Find an insentive for her- does she want Dora underwear- then if she stays dry a whole day you go w/ her to buy Dora underwear...Does she like candy? Give her a piece of candy at the end of the day when she stays dry all day etc. Get creative and have fun!
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I reward mine with a few m&m's if he poo's on the potty.
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 4:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• if she asks for a diaper put her on the potty. That is what I had to do. She cried but then she did it we made a big deal out of it cause she went poop and haven't had a problem since.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I had this issue. I threw out all diapers one day and put plastic everywhere. She got the hint in about 2 weeks. I also rewarded her with skittles. Taste the rainbow, save cash on diapers.
    youngs_wifey05

Answer by youngs_wifey05 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'm totally going to tell you one of the most EMBARASSING thing I've ever done in my life!! Our daughter was (and still is) allowed to be in the bathroom when we're just peeing, but we ALWAYS closed the door when we needed to go poop. She potty-trained at 23 months, because she wanted to be like us. But she had no idea that we pooped in the potty!!! After about 3 days of her walking around in big girl panties, and still pooping in them, I took her into the bathroom, let her be in there with me, and (I say this while blushing) I SHOWED her that Mommy goes pee pee AND poopie in the pottie. I showed her my clean panties, and that there was NO MESS....
    It was like a little light bulb went off, and there were NO MORE POOPIE ACCIDENTS after that.
    Good luck!!! With whatever you try....you'll find what works for you and your daughter! =)
    bamabellemommy

Answer by bamabellemommy at 9:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• YEAH. LIKE SOME OF THE OTHER MOMS SAID SIT HER ON THE POTTY EVERYTIME SHE ASK 4 A DIAPER. AND IF SHE POOPS REWARD HER WITH A TREAT OR SOMETHING. THATS WUT I DO WITH MY 2YR OLD AND NOW ALL HE WILL WEAR IS UNDERWEAR.
    GEORGETTE3306

Answer by GEORGETTE3306 at 2:50 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My #4 son did this very thing (except with pull ups).  I am really anti-pull ups, but had him in them because we had our youngest son in PICU and it was easier for us during that time......!  Anyway, we had a ceremony to get rid of all pull ups, so that when he asked for one, he had no choice but to go in the potty. We had a ceremonial song and dance when he was successful in using the potty and he got a treat afterwards. If he refused to poop in the potty, then he did so in his undies, he HATED the poop in his undies and so it made him go in the potty. My suggestion is take away the diapers completely, don't even give him that option.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 1:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i also just stopped using diapers all together, i told my daughter she's a big girl and big girls dont wear diapers. I used pull ups for awhile but they are too much like diapers to them, so she didnt completely potty train with them. i got her some underwear and never went back to the pull ups, there are accidents but she's learned. I would buy a pack of the cheaper underwear at first because there will be a good bit of accidents and then after a while take her to the store let her pick out some special underwear for her to get.
    Bellakat456

Answer by Bellakat456 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2009