BREASTFEEDING QUESTION

OK I HAVE A THREE AND HALF MONTH OLD SON WHO IS STRICTLY BREASTFED. HOWEVER ON MONDAY IVE GOT A TRIP THT IM NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO TAKE HIM ON AND IVE BEEN TRYING TO GET HIM TO TAKE A BOTTLE. HE TOTALLY REFUSES. I HAVE TRIED FORMULA AND BREASTMILK BOTH AND NEITHER WORKS. I HAVE TRIED THREE DIFFERENT NIPPLES ONE WAS A NUBE ONE WAS A PLAYTEX DROP IN BOTTLE AND THE THIRD WAS THE BOTTLES THT COME WITH MY PUMP. NONE OF THESE SEEM TO WORK AT ALL. HE GETS REALLY FRUSTRATED AND WONT EVEN TRY TO NURSE THE BOTTLE. IM AT A LOSS ON WHAT TO DO. HOW CAN I GET HIM TO BOTTLE FEED? I ONLY NEED HIM TO FOR ONE DAY. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE WHATSO EVER. IM DESPERATE. THANKS.

LilmomaShan

Asked by LilmomaShan at 12:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read in a baby book once that if you're trying to introduce a bottle you should have someone else do it. Your baby can smell you and he knows that "mommy smell = milk" (they didn't quite put it that way though) and so he wants to breastfeed- not drink from some fake thing. So if someone else is holding him he won't be able to smell you and might take the bottle. Hope this helps :D
    momma_gig

Answer by momma_gig at 12:48 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Good luck, I had the same exact prob. when it came time for juices, THE ONLY THING, an yes I tried EVERY Bottele, Nipple there is, BUT THE CUP That has the soft short niiple like top I think its called the Nubby, Its been 3yrs cant remember the name but she took that just like a bottle,
    ssspw-world

Answer by ssspw-world at 12:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yea i had thought ahead and had my husband try but that didnt work either. I felt so bad for him crying like that. He wouldnt even attempt to nurse the bottle. He even tried squirting some in his mouth like just enough for him to taste it. We even turned the lights out so he couldnt see iit wasnt the breast.
    LilmomaShan

Answer by LilmomaShan at 12:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• If you're trying to give him the bottle that can be the problem. He most likely will not starve himself while you are gone and I wouldn't give him formula if there's bm available. Have someone else try to give him the bottle. Another trick is carry a blanket of his with you for a few days so it has your scent on it and whenever it's time to feed him the person giving him the bottle can wrap him in the blanket or lay it over their shoulder so he can smell you. Make sure you have the right flow nipple as that can make a difference too.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 12:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Breastflo bottles?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Whats a breastflo bottle? How does it work and where can i find one? Ive never even heard of one. I figured the bottles they give you with your pump when you buy them would work the best but to me it looks nothing like a nipple and it didnt work at all.
    LilmomaShan

Answer by LilmomaShan at 1:38 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Sounds bad, but if he gets hungry while you're away he WILL eat. He probably won't like it, but he won't really have a choice. Make sure to leave breastmilk with him since he is unaccustomed to formula and he will eventually eat when he gets hungry. Sorry you have to leave him for a day :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Have your husband try again, and have him imitate exactly how you feed him. If you are topless, have your husband take his shirt off, if you use a boppy pillow have him try that too. And have him squirt some into his mouth. Make sure you are NOWHERE near him when he does this. Also, try taking the shirt you've been wearing off and tuck it in between Daddy and baby, so your baby will smell you.

We use Playtex Ventiare Wide bottles, and my dd goes from breast to bottle just fine, but she's never had an issue....we used the method I just explained to you from the start.

And I'm sorry to say, but the previous poster is right- your baby will NOT starve himself. Also, I would only put breastmilk in the bottle- a baby is WAY more likely to accept Mommy Milk than formula.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:00 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• If you're that desperate then post-pone your trip.
    Baby is more important.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:10 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• You can get the brwastflow bottles at babies r us.... they are the only ones my dd will take and she does NOT do it willingly...when i go to work. People think she'll just eventually take the bottle but she doesnt... She cried for 4 hrs strait when my mom was watching her one day/ She'll drink like gone ounze over the span of an hr..... which is better then nothing but...
    Good Luck.
    lenas_mom91708

Answer by lenas_mom91708 at 5:45 AM on Feb. 14, 2009