Question regarding Birthday Party

DD's 7th birthday party is this Sunday. We invited 5 of her closest girlfriends to get make-overs and then we will take them out to dinner afterward.

We have heard back from 4 of the parents saying their daughters will come. Normally I wouldn't think it too big of a deal about not hearing back from the 5th (so many people out there do not RSVP a "no"), but the little girl is telling DD at school that she is definitely coming...and I am supposed to call the restaurant the day before with a number for the reservation.

I don't really know the mom, but I do have her phone number. Would you call to just ask if coming (giving reason that kid is saying they are coming) or just let it go and count on her not showing up or risk having the number wrong for the reservation if she does?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you've heard from the other 4, you could just call and say something like "I just wanted to check in and see if you've made a decision yet on whether Sally can come to Janie's party on Saturday? I'm about to confirm the reservation and I'd hate to leave her out."

Then you don't sound pushy, but she also knows that you really kind of need an answer one way or the other. If she mentions that Sally told Janie she would be there (some parents think that is how to RSVP), you can just play it off and say "Oh, well, Janie didn't mention that. I'm sorry I bothered you then!"
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• ^^ I agree. If she hasn't rsvp'd yet I would just give her a ring. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:29 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I'd just call to confirm.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I would call. Not rude of you. Rude of her. But sure, you need to know.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• I was still going back and forth on whether or not to call the mom. Then, when I picked DD up from school today, the little girl yelled for me and told me that she was coming to the party. I asked her if she was sure, saying that her mommy hasn't called me to let me know. She said she was sure. So I told her that I would call her mom...I did and she told me that she did tell her daughter that they were coming. Ugh. I can't believe the rudeness of expecting to show up without an RSVP!

Anyway, thanks for the advice, gals! You were all right to give her a call...and I'm glad I did because now at least her kid will be able to go home with a gift bag!
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2013