Are labor contractions ALWAYS painful???

Or is it possible to have regular and steady contractions that don't hurt?

mamakat21

Asked by mamakat21 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine were pretty painful!
    Miss.KelliAdams

Answer by Miss.KelliAdams at 1:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• actually I can see them not bieng very painful if youve had an epidural!
    Miss.KelliAdams

Answer by Miss.KelliAdams at 1:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• lol no...I'm asking because I'm at home, but all day I've been having tightening of my tummy more than usual. Instead of just a few times a day, it happens once or twice an hour, but it's not painful at all.....just tight!
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:06 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• yeah it is possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yes, it's possible. Mine didn't hurt much, but they were very close together. My cousin said she wasn't in pain at all, she just felt like she was being squeezed.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• yeah that's how I feel....like I'm being squeezed! When will I know to go to hosp or call doc??
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yes... the 1st 18 or 19 hours of my labor were like that.

Go to the hospital when your contractions are about 4 mins apart and you can't talk through them or walk through them. That's the general rule of thumb. I left when min were 2 mins apart, drove an hour to the hosp, and only spent an hour at the hospital before my baby was born, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• when they are about 4 minutes apart for an hour. keep track of them. mine never did get painful, i got an epi at six because i was going to get pitocin and was scared of that. I just felt like the pp said, being squeezed really tight and kind of hard to take a deep breath. start counting and good luck! congratulations :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• mine where like that for about 24 hrs just plain uncomfortable but nothing to stop me from getting up and doing things, ( got sent home from L&D 3 times. lol) then all of a sudden things just got worse i started having horrible back pains (nothing in my stomach at all) and i had my daughter about 6 hrs later, so yes it is possible.. good luck and congrats
    mrs.cooley

Answer by mrs.cooley at 1:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• lol oh wow! freakin sweet!!! so I might be in labor then??? YAY!!!! How cool would that be to have a valentines baby??? SWEEEET!!!!! ;O)
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2009