Do you buy instant oatmeal packets? Here is a quick and easy recipe.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/05/09/making-your-own-homemade-oatmeal-packets-a-visual-guide-and-cost-analysis/

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2013 in Food & Drink

• That is a great idea.I don't even make packets though .I found the perfect measuring cup size for us ,I have two teen boys so they eat more than one serving each for breakfast.Put it in a large microwavable glass bowl ,nuke it.Each teen has his preferred toppings ,I have them stored separately in a Tupperware container.As the oatmeal nukes I add toppings or bottomings to individual bowls ,add cooked oatmeal .By then they're in the kitchen ,stir it up themselves and eat.
    Do this with grits also.One likes grits with parm and mozz ,the other cheddar and real bacon bits.Keep those mixes in the frig.
    .One prefers bananas ,the other apple for their morning fruit.so no prep there at all.
    I almost prefer cool mornings...easy breakfasts.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 5:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Thanks for the suggestion. My child goes thru 2 boxes per week of the whole grain blueberry. It's 3 bucks paper box. That adds up quickly.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• i found one on pinterest a while back that is perfection. its 1/2 cup of oats per 3 TB of brown sugar...thats it. i mixed mine all together & keep in it a tupperware so i dont waste baggies. i also add raisins...i love oatmeal haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Wow. I always buy old fashioned oats because that's what I like, but the kids love the instant packets because its something they can make for themselves. I'm going to try this out. I buy oatmeal in bulk and its only 48 cents a pound.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Nope it is too easy and cheaper to make your own.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I saw that a while ago and I think I will try it!

easy cheap oats 

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Not anymore because it's more sugar than I want them having in the morning. They all like regular oatmeal that I make.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• no i dont like it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2013