epidurals!

i so afraid of getting the epidural when in labor, does it hurt when they put it? is the needle really big? aaaah it freaks me out! im really not afraid of needles but just thinking of getting a really big needle in by spine scares me,and then what scares me the most is not being able to walk for hours

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sh* when your in hard labor, just dnt look, it dont feel good an is something to remember but doesnt compare to the pain, an walking will be the last thing on your mind, you'll want rest!! I had two within a few hours apart,!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Well, no one says you HAVE to get the epidural. But to answer your question, it doesn't really hurt, it just kind of pinches. And yes, being unable to walk and laying in bed for hours will suck and it's very counter-productive.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i got one and it didnt hurt at all, my anesthesiologist (sp lol) was really good and had me focus on other things
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:17 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• You don't HAVE to have an epidural. In fact, it's safer for you (in most cases) to not have one. If you're afraid of needles, then why subject yourself to them? I went through 26 hours of non-medicated labor and it was NOTHING like anyone told me I LOVED being in labor, even at the very end. Not to mention I loved being able to walk around and do whatever I wanted during labor.

But to answer your question, no it isn't that painful to get an epidural. I had one with my 1st child for my c-section.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i got the epi and didnt feel a thing, they put it in during a contraction so i was more concentrated on not moving till the pain went away then what they were doing back there lol . i got to relax before i started pushing i was able to push with no problems and get up and go to the bathroom afterwards and was able to hold my baby ect. it also helped me get some sleep when they took the baby for tests cause i still didn't feel any pain. coming from a person with a VERY low pain tolerence i would recommend it. but if you can handle the pain and do a natural birth then all the power to you!!! good luck
    mrs.cooley

Answer by mrs.cooley at 1:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Didn't bother me at all! They numb you before the needle ever goes in so all you feel is about as much as a bee sting. And by the time i got mine i was so exhausted i was ready to just lay in bed and sleep. I'm not afraid of needles at all....but for some reason I was shaking i was so scared to get the epidural, it was so worth it though! Good luck :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I don't remember feeling any pain at all from the epidural. I am afraid of needles but I was in such pain from the contractions, I welcomed the epidural!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Then don't get one. It is not a given that you have to have an epidural. You can do it without the meds. I believe in you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'm sorry you feel that you have to have an epidural. Drugs in the epidural do cross the placenta. Please research.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I had 1 epi and will never ever do it again. They hit bone and it friggin hurt. I have had 3 spinals with no pain, but that was messed up! Epidural will also cause very sleepy baby after birth.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:54 AM on Feb. 14, 2009