Please settle this discussion about cars between my husband and I!

When it is cold out I say you only need to let the car warm up for 5 minutes, my husband claims you should wait to drive until the car is 100% warm, like 15 minutes, I say it wastes gas etc.
I googled it and found all kinds of answers!
He said he will go with what you all say, LOL!
How long do you let your car warm up?
PS- in our town it is illegal to start you car and leave it, even if it is in your own driveway, so if I am going to be cold, I would rather be on my way somewhere!

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 9:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I always warm my car, I have the babies to put in. No way they're siting in a cold car
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I do neither. I start my car up and go. Its illegal here as well. Its a nice hefty $300 fine if caught. I am not chancing that.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Actually in new cars,warming it up is just for your comfort inside the vehicle

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• not only wastes gas but if you leave your car on while waiting inside the house , you could get sick from the fumes like the way my neighbor did once. She immediately stopped warming up her car that way, and her health issues slowly went away...
    jossstone1969

Answer by jossstone1969 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I always warm up the car for about 5-10 minutes. But that's so I'm not freezing my tits off.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• We get -20 and below temps in the winter, I do NOT drive it in that kind of weather without warming it up at least 10min, usually a little longer... It is illegal here too but i've never gotten ticketed or know anyone who has honestly, even the cops in our town do it! Now if its only a little bit cold in the morning (like below 15 degrees) I think a 5min warm up is probably enough. I've been starting ours at about 7:05 every morning and I take the girls to school around 7:15, or as soon as we're ready. It was 10degrees out this morning and lots of ice but I probably didn't need to let it run that long...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 9:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Idk..our cars are always inside the garage, so warming up isn't necessary.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I've heard it is not good to start your car and leave it running just to warm it up...but that doesn't stop me. If it is cold outside, I always start it up 5 minutes before leaving for the bus stop for my daughter because I hate sitting there doing nothing in a cold car, but just to drive to town or something, I never warm it up first.

We park the cars in our attached garage, but I just open the garage door before starting. Never have felt any effects from fumes that way.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I will warm up the car for a couple of minutes if at all, but then again I live in a tropical climate place, but doing it the way your husbands does it seems to me like he is wasting a lot of gas and time in the process...

Answer by older at 9:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I never let it "'warm up". I just start it and go. Of course, we also don't usually get as cold as it gets up north - lower 20s, usually at most. I might sit there for a minute or two to wait on the heat, but that's about it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2013