Would you ever try an online dating service?

I'm still young and I have plenty of time to find the right guy. But I am a mom so I anticipate it to take longer than usual. My question is: if after maybe 5 years of no luck finding somebody, would you pay an online dating service or would it just be a waste of money?

amberlynsky

Asked by amberlynsky at 1:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• yes i would try match.com and eharmony!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I would have to say that it wouldn't be for me. I do know some people who use them, and thats great for them. I say that if it's something you'd like to try, then go for it.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Oh yes try it! I tried Match.com and met my dh there. We have been happily married for 7 years now!
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 1:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• yes, I've met some great guys on dating sites. I'm into dating but not into marriage though.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:47 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• yeah just be careful.. i was doingthe whole online dating thing. i was very careful on who it was. i took it slow.. this one guy emailed me a couple times.wanting my number. i thought he was getting annoying.. and then iw as like one day. ok here is my cell.. DONT call me constantly please. i only did that bc i wasnt gonna be getting on that site anymore.. well long story short. i married him. we have been married for 2 years been together for 5 years. and we have a beautiful little girl..

SO ... im just saying be careful
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Why wait 5 yrs. You can try it out now, just for fun. Don't take anything too seriously and go very slow. There are definitely some weirdos out there, but also some nice guys. ALWAYS meet in a public place. And don't let anyone meet your kids until you think it is something that's going to be serious. I used to like plentyoffish.com. I thought it was pretty decent, being a free site.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 3:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• if i were single HELL YES i'd try one of those.... when me and my husband were going to divorce (we had a rough 3 months from september - december) i made a match.com profile, and i saw a lot of good looking men, i just couldnt pay for a subscription because my husband is the bread winner and i wasnt about to ask him for any amount of money at the time. we're a lot better now but at the time we were not even close.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:43 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• in lovei met my hubby on myspace and it was FREE!!!!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:44 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I met my now now husband of nearly 10 years on Match.com...best $11 I ever spent!!! (the rate then was $34 for 3 months, and we met 3 days after joining!)

The MOST important thing to remember about online dating sites is BE HONEST!!! Be honest about yourself (even if it's not favorable), be honest about what you REALLY want in a man, be honest about your intentions (are you looking for a date to a party or a potentially long term commitment)?

Obviously I haven't looked at the match.com site since my hubby and I started dating (we were engaged 5 months after meeting), but when I was a member, I was VERY specific about what I was looking for in a mate--right down to height, build, religion, non-smoker, no kids, college educated, excellent salary, etc. I basically "built" my husband! LOL

If you get REALLY specific, you MIGHT not get a lot of search results, but remember QUALITY is more important that QUANTITY!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• P.S. I was 31, my husband (to be) was 37 when we met--first marriage for both of us! So YES, there are good and successful men out there without any baggage!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:55 AM on Feb. 14, 2009