Would you send your son to a school where he would be the minority?

So next year my son will be starting Kindergarden, but I will be home-schooling him. At the school we are zoned for he would be in a 2% minority. Now I am all for diversity, but there is no diversity when over 85% of the school is coming from one background. I think I would probably be home-schooling him anyways ( I have very little faith in public schools), but after looking at the stats of the school, I have solidified my decision. Getting a zone transfer is not an option (we don't meet any of the criteria for one), and private school is just way too expensive. So do you think you would home-school, or send your kids to the public school anyways?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is and he's never mentioned anything about feeling out of place. He doesn't care and doesn't notice himself being any different than the other kids
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• in kindergarden yes, if he were say going into junior high and was in the majority at his elementary then no. i mean i guess you could try for a year or even a semester :] but do whatever you feel comfortable with
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I am more concerned with a school's academics. Why does the racial make up of the students have to be an issue?
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 4:42 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• What does the majority/minority thing have to do with the academics at the school?

If the academics at the school were well rated, they would go there. We've actually applied to a charter school for our oldest to begin Kindergarten. It's one that works more with technology than the public schools (and right up his alley). Charter schools here are free.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Well the academics aren't that great either. At greatschools.com they received a score of 2 out of 10 stars. For the state of Florida's school grading system they received a D. If the academics were better, I could easily overlook the racial inequality at the school. The other problem, the school zone includes the "red-light" district (if you get my drift). My son would be going to school with a bunch kids who's parents are drug dealers and prostitutes. Sorry, but I can't over look that.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• No and that's part of the reason I'm homeschooling. Where I live, my kids would be part of the 6% caucasian minority. I also agree with diversity..but like you said...that's not a very diverse group. We live in a low-income area which goes hand-in-hand with violence and such. My kids won't be subjected to that kind of environment.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• When I lived in Galveston TX my kids were the minority, (and the the schools were horrible) there was maybe two white kids per class. It caused my son some problems ( he was in middle school) because of all the little wanna be gang bangers but my girls didn't have any problems. We have since moved and the kids are in much better schools.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Okay..so academics alone would change my mind. I'm honestly put off that in this day and age race still has a place in peoples thoughts about if their kids can do something or not. What kind of message is that reasoning sending the kids of today?
    Anonymous

• In the real world, we don't always get to choose who is around us. Therefore, I would probably send my kids to public school.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I don't really care if my chidren are in the minority in elementary school especially in kindergarten, if they are issues I'd reevaluate later on. I would be concerned with the academics, but then again I'd investigate the school itself, the way the grading system is set up schools are hooked for failure if the students begin with any delay compared to students from higher SES neighborhoods. I'd meet the teacher etc. Kids are kids, and knowing and being comfortable around all types of cultures can be an real advantage in life. The academics... that would trip me out but I'd also look into applying for a magnet program and/or getting a variance based on job location, grandma who will take care of the kids after school etc.etc.etc. There are ways to do it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2009