Did this animal clinic do the right thing?

The owner of an animal clinic in Tooele is getting a lot of grief for euthanizing a pet dog that was brought to him. But he doesn't apologize for it. He says the dog was incredibly sick and in pain. Others say putting the dog down wasn't his call to make.

A 20-year-old Pomeranian mix was brought to Joe Roundy's Tooele clinic by animal control Tuesday with no collar.

"It's entire body was covered with scales and scabs," Roundy said.

Roundy wasn't there, so his staff made the decision to euthanize the dog, Adia, with a myriad of visible health problems.

"This animal is suffering," Roundy said. "This is not a matter of us covering up anything. We admit, we made that decision."

It happened less than two hours after Adia went outside for her morning walk around 9 a.m. Her owners, still too upset to go on camera, say by the time they called animal control and got to Roundy's clinic at 11, it was too late. It set off a firestorm on social media that Roundy's staff had acted too quickly.

arci Wicks with Tooele Animal Outreach showed the documents which detail Roundy's service agreement with the Tooele County Sheriff's Office. The papers state that he is to board animals for a minimum of three days before they are put down. The mandated time period is in the process of being extended from three to five days.

"It is five days, according to law, it just hasn't been revised on county documents, which they are fully aware of," Wicks said.

Roundy showed his paperwork as well from animal control which states that the dog was abandoned and injured. He says he was putting the dog out of it's misery.

"I don't even know if it would have lived five days," Roundy said. "Somebody's got to make a decision on an animal with no identification that's got severe injuries or suffering. What are we going to do?"

I personally think they did. The poor thing was in lots of pain. What kind of pet "owner" does this to their animal? Allow them to suffer and be very sick? This dog had no collar no chip as well. Part of me highly doubt that the dog wasnt let out at 9 and put down at 11. I personally think that dog was outside a lot sooner and 9am is when they realized the dog was gone. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2013 in Pets

• They did the right thing & shame on the owners for not getting him treatments he needed.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• They did the right thing. I don't buy it. I don't believe that the owners let the dog out and less than 2 hours later, it had already been picked up, taken in, examined and put down. I think they put her out sooner or left her out all the time. And I think they know that everyone else would know it too, and that's the real reason why they wouldn't go on camera.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• The clinic did the right thing. The owners are the ones that need to be under fire. What kind of ass let's a dog live with scales and scabs covering its entire body and visible health problems and does nothing. I thin kthe owners ought to be charged for cruelty to animals and banned from ever owning another one
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• since there were no tags and whatnot and this dog was so old and with the health issues it had- I do not have a problem with this

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• The owners should be the oneis in trouble, for letting the dog suffer with sores all over it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• I think it's terrible that the owners would try to make the animal hospital out to be the ones who were in the wrong. Yes, they did the right thing. Animals shouldn't be forced to suffer.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• They absolutely did do the correct thing. Sounds like the dog was old yes, but there is no excuse for the dog's state of health. They should charge the real owners.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• Owners = Self centered bastards

Clinic= Did they only humane thing
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• 20is awfully old for a pom. Their own vet is to blame for allowing them to allow the dog to suffer this way.
    If the discriptions are accurate the og would have been in intollerable pain.
    It takes nothing to chip a dog and they did not do that either. There was no way to notify the owners which was their fault.
    I have to wonder if she was out for her walk at 9, wouldn't she have had her collar on? Wouldn't the owner know that the dog had slipped out of the collar and wondered off? A dog in such a condition would not be able to move off quickly.
    Then you have the time i takes for animal control to be called because someone noticed the "stray". And then the time it takes for animal control to get there and take down whatever info the reporting person has because many will not chase down a dog. You have to contain it. And then the paperwork at the clinic and then the time to examine the dog and put it down?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2013

• There is no way that dog got out anywhere near 9 am for all of that to have occurred.

My opinion is someone did not want to deal with putting down the dog or keeping it and let the poor baby out hoping it would get hit by a car. Then someone else would have to take the responsibility for the death. Then it backfired when the dog was discovered missing the owner that wasn't in on the scheme.
    That is one plausible scenario.
    But the one in the story is implausible.

Yes the vets were right thought to CYA they need a clause giving the right to put down unchipped dogs who are suffering before that 5 days are up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2013