If your contractions aren't painful but very close together, should you call doc or go to hosp?

Or wait until they DO become painful and more close together? Also, how do you time your contractions and how do you know when they're too close?

mamakat21

Asked by mamakat21 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• contractionmaster.com is the easiest way to do it. they will tell you how long they are and how far apart
    if you are full term then just go ahead and go into l/d and they will call your doc.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Call your doctor before going to the hospital. If you change positions and relieve your bladder and you still have them regularly (timed and patterened) then they are probably labor contractions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• ps: go by time not how painful they are. that is a much more accurate assesment of how far you are into your labor.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Call your doctor and your doctor will tell you if you need to go into the hospital or call labor and delivery and they will tell you. I wouldn't just show up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• call L&D
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Wait until you can't talk or walk through a contraction. That's when you'll know you're in real labor.

5 days before my daughter was born I was in labor for 14 hours... 3 mins apart, not painful. It fizzled out. If I had went to the hospital they would have just sent me home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• If you have to stop what you're doing during a contraction, then go in.

During my labor I NEVER got regular. One moment my contractions would be 2 mins apart, the next 4, and then 3. It was that way until I pushed my daughter out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I would call either your doc or labor and delivery and they will tell you if they think you should go in or wait longer at home. Trust me, if it is real labor, you want to stay home as long as possible. The hospital sucks
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• call your dr
    mommyand5

Answer by mommyand5 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• AMEN a_and_j_momma! I stayed home as long as possible! I dreaded going there. I was tempted just to stay at home in my tub like I had been, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2009