Legal Help

From what I'm gathering, Municipal courts are for misdemeanor charges and Common Pleas courts are for felony charges...at least that is what the lady at the court house told me a couple weeks ago.

So...if someone charged with a felony, why would they keep having Municipal court hearings?

I know someone arrested for manufacturing illegal substances, which is a felony in our state. She was arrested on January 5th and had her first trial on January 11th, which was dismissed. I was told by the lady at the court house that it was dismissed because it was a felony tried in a Municipal court and those need to go to Common Pleas...she said that there would be another hearing scheduled.

And there was another hearing scheduled, for February 8th, but it is in MUNICIPAL COURT!

Anyone know something about how this goes so they can enlighten me as to why they are doing it this way? Common sense tells me that if it's a felony charge, send to Common Pleas...why waste time in Municipal...?

(Unfortunately there isn't a LEGAL HELP category, so into JUST FOR FUN it goes)

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Were some of the charges dropped?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2013

• My best guess would be that there are other charges being dealt with that are being handled by municipal, or someone keeps screwing up when they schedule it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2013